o
Craftsman LT1000 with Briggs And Stratton 17.5 HP Engine ohv

Posted by geoffrey_2009 MO (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 19, 09 at 10:28

Hi all
Craftsman LT1000 with Briggs And Stratton 17.5 HP Engine ohv

1st problem: Runs fine for about half an hour then dies
2nd Problem Definite loss of ground speed in all gears
Jobs done so far: Dropped head and cleaned all + valves gapped valves,checked gas cap and fuel lines, stripped carb and cleaned it, new battery, new plug, i am thinking it might be a bad coil causing engine to die but this wouldn't cause loss of ground speed would it? would appreciate any help you might have.
Thanks Geoff

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Craftsman LT1000 with Briggs And Stratton 17.5 HP Engine ohv

how did you ck gas cap and fuel lines ? new fuel filter ?

o

If the above bases were covered thoroughly, a coil would be a good guess. They are not prone to create this issue to the degree other makes are however. I'm assuming that the engine is running strong otherwise and may just need a traction belt.

o

Ok guys new development... I Just Ran It for An Hour (Cut my back lawn) I Noticed At start up that the fuel filter ( New Btw) was slightly over half full of gas after an hour of running under load engine started spluttering and died. Fuel filter was almost dry maybe a 1/4 full if that Just before it died. so i started it again and full filter filled up to about half way and engine was running fine? i disconnected the wire that goes into the bottom of carb bowl and it kills engine so it would appear that whatever it is, is working OK? So Now i'm thinking that its maybe fuel starvation. but remember it ran fine for an hour?
Any Ideas based on this new information? and hole/vent in gas cap is clear of any obstruction

o

Fuel tank may have some "migrant trash" moving around that randomly cover and obstruct the fuel pick-up port in the fuel tank. Try to shine a flashlight into the tank while you are in a darkened area or in the shade (helps your eyes to adjust to see in the tank) and you might be able to see the offensive debris. You may need to empty the tank and remove the tank for a good clean out.

o

"i disconnected the wire that goes into the bottom of carb bowl and it kills engine so it would appear that whatever it is, is working OK?"
yeah, that's the shutdown solenoid (or anti-afterfire sol) and keep it hooked back up as it lets fuel into the carb while energized by the ignition switch turned to the "on" position.
Also agree with mownie's comments on cleaning tank.. and if the machine >4 yrs old - replace the fuel lines. Older fuel lines can get soft when hot, collapse or kink and starve engine.

o

thanks Guys
will dump the tank and give it a good clean. Fuel lines look good but i think i will change umm out anyways. Be one thing less to consider. again thanks for the input

o

'Craftsman LT1000 with Briggs And Stratton 17.5 HP Engine ohv
1st problem: Runs fine for about half an hour then dies
2nd Problem Definite loss of ground speed in all gears
'

OK, I have the exact same unit, and had the same problem last year. I spent an entire morning checking stuff out, including using a spark tester tool, checking the valve clearances and the 'coil'. Anyway, none of those were the issue, the issue was that the carburetor choke was NOT spring back to the 'open' position after engine warm up/engine start. I saw some 'fixes' on the Internet which detailed how to remove the verical carb butterfly shaft and shave it down a little so it wouldn't stick. I figured I could always 'open' it manually with my hand after a few minutes, but instead drilled a small hole forward of it in the plastic housing, and put a 25 cent spring from there to the ALREADY-PRESENT hole in the black horizontal lever that attaches to the vertical butterfly shaft. See photo at http://www.uploadhouse.com/viewfile.php?id=2339206 before I added the spring. The hole I used is in the foreground; the choke lever from the driver seat pushes the black lever counterclockwise to close the choke, and when I release that lever, the spring I added pulls the black lever clockwise to open the choke.

Here is a link that might be useful: Photo link

o

OK cusser, enough already! We now know you wear old fashioned panties, but this not one of "those" forums.

o

Now, now, Mownie. The panties is one thing, but the pink stuff is something else. Looks like some of it was mown quite nicely too. :D

o

Always amazes me that people don't do the simple tests in these cases like seeing if there is good spark when the engine dies and put your lips against the gas tank filler and blow (do not inhale) to test for fuel starvation for instance for instance. Worn insulation or bad connectors on fuel solenoid valve is another good place to look.

Walt Conner

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tractors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here