Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
redneck99

John Deere rx75

redneck99
10 years ago

Last year my neighbor gave me his rx75 and I used it for the season it ran great besides revers not working but any way I put it away for the winter and I just tried starting and it cranks but doesn't fire it has spark and the carburetor is clean what do I do

Comments (8)

• mownie
    10 years ago

***"the carburetor is clean"***
    Does that mean you have taken the carburetor apart and cleaned thoroughly or does that mean that the outside of the carb looks "clean"?
    To check whether the engine wants to run but is not "getting fuel" you can dribble a spoon or two of gasoline into the throat of the carb, or give it a shot of spray carb cleaner into the carb and see it it wants to run briefly on that amount of fuel.
    If it wants to run when you do that, your carb is not so clean (inside) after all.

• redneck99
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes I took apart the carburetor and cleaned everything with carb cleaner I put it back on and even with starting fluid no firering yet the spark plug is wet so I know it's getting fuel

• mownie
    10 years ago

OK, now we are getting somewhere. It seems to have no spark.
    What engine is on this mower? Look on the engine and find a model number and type number if Briggs.
    Model and spec number if Kohler.

• redneck99
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My mower is actually at my house upstate and I won't be there till Friday but I am getting spark and i know it is a 9 hp Briggs

• mownie
    10 years ago

Do you know whether the flywheel has ever been removed from the engine, either by you or someone else before you got it? If it has compression, and it has spark, and it is getting fuel, a sheared flywheel key may be why it does not run.
    Most often a flywheel key shears after the flywheel has been removed and replaced with insufficient torque to the flywheel retention nut or bolt.

• redneck99
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm not sure but I can check tomorrow

• redneck99
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Where would the model number be

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH