Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
golfhounds

john deere 38 mower deck

golfhounds
13 years ago

How do you remove the mower deck from a John Deere 165 Hydro. It is a 38" deck. I dont have an owners manual. Diagrams, Please. Thanks, Jim

Comment (1)

• krnuttle
    13 years ago

Let me start by saying I do not have the 165 but have the JD LT 155 with the 38" deck. I had the tractor for years before I worked up the courage to remove the deck, thinking that I was going to have to re level it and while simple re leveling anything never turns out simple.

On the LT155 there are three points where the deck is attached to the tractor, and one control rod connection.

First disconnect the control rod, It is held to the deck by a simple cotter pin. It can be accessed from the back of the deck.

I place some three-wheeled furniture dollies under the deck and lowered it on to them. There are two pins with cotter pins at the rear of the deck that go through a fitting on the tractor. Remove the pins from both the fittings on both side of the deck.

Now with both pins out and the control rod disconnected move the deck forward until the rod at the front of the deck is free of the "U" fitting on the deck. you may have to lift the deck slightly or use a little force to align the rod connecting the deck to the tractor so it will slip out of the fittings.

Since you are not messing with any of the adjuster nuts, the deck will go back the same way you took it off and no leveling adjustments need be made.

It almost takes longer to write this than it takes to remove the deck.

Sponsored