Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rustyj14

New Lawn push mowers, by B&S

rustyj14
10 years ago

I have been handed, or left to fix, several Craftsman lawn mowers, new, that have no choke or primer bulb, on the B&S engines/carburetors. These are the regular walk-behind type.
There is no way to install an earlier carb, or primer bulb!
When the owner left it here, i told him he should return it for a refund. He didn't want to do that, and left it here. Ditto for the second one, which got a shot of starter fluid after removal of the air filter cartridge. With the result--it started, but stopped when the SF ran out.
I suppose those engines were designed by a computer. Which has no practical knowlege of how an engine is supposed to operate. In a building, not outside, with a gang of white coats saying: "We must cut costs of manufacturing, so out goes the primer bulb, and choke." And then, they are bought by the unsuspecting population, who aren't allowed the opportunity of trying it out, before purchasing it! Yes, they can take it back, but a lot of folks don't have the luxury of living close to a place that sells defective stuff. You'd waste more in gasoline, postal and shipping costs, than the POS is worth! Rant by: Rusty Jones

Comments (10)

• snuffyinatl
    10 years ago

I still say that old 3.5 engine they have made for what.....60 years or so now? is the best engine they ever made....simple, reliable, cheap....what more could you ask for?

• rustyj14
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ya, but--- the simple, old, engines had either a choke, or a primer bulb, or both! This new type has everything except some way to entice the fuel to enter the intake manifold! Which was accomplished by the primer bulb, or the manually operated choke. This new process would have the operator running along side with a squirt gun of gasoline=squirting it into the carb intake, to keep it running! I'm thinking the smart (I use that term loosely) guys at the factory design shop must of been thinking that the fuel would just run down into the carb, and it'd stay running. And, i think that they just figgered that the owner had lots of time to pull the rope lebenty-seven times, until it either started, or the owner would just push it into the nearest creek, and go buy another one!

• snuffyinatl
    10 years ago

As long as they keep making that ol' 3.5, thats what I'll buy....as long as it has a choke or primer :) Just wish they would make a decent deck to mount 'em on!!! Engine always seems to last and last, but the mower falls apart around it...may try my hand at making a deck for it....lol

• rustyj14
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yah-but! I now have 2 similar mowers setting by my garage, with the same problems. I suppose you can run along side, while squirting fuel into the air cleaner, to keep it running. Eventually--you could, or would, run over yer foot, and chop off yer toes.
    Well, if i figure out a fix for the problem, or read of a fix, i'll be the first one to tell ya! And, so much for a college degree!
    When i was ready to be drafted for WW II, i couldn't figger out any of that goofy stuff, like algebra, Trig, or any of it. So, i couldn't get into the Air force with my friends at school. So, i got the Infantry. No shame for that. There were smart guys in the Infantry. And, they could have designed a lawn mower that would work right!

• ericwi
    10 years ago

My guess is that this engine starts up and works OK for about one season, when the valves and rings are sealing really well, and you can get it started by pulling on the rope. By season two, the valves are leaking a bit, and the engine will be very hard to start. Time to buy a new mower. The only practical fix that I can think of is for you, the mechanic, to become the local small engine teacher, and explain to the customer why a choke mechanism and primer bulb are required equipment. Maybe the customers will pay you to go along with them when they shop for a new mower.

• philb520
    10 years ago

These "chokeless" carbs have been around for a while. I have one on a MTD Troybilt push mower that's gotta be at least 8 years old. Starts second or third pull every time. Even my wife can start it. The mower has to be properly stored or once they gum up, you'll get what you have now. BTW, I'm betting it wasn't a economic reason they are like this, it's an environmental reason like lack of adjusting screws and such.
    Just sayin...

• homegrown55
    10 years ago

Can any of us say C.A.R.B. III emissions regulations mandate? The leftist E.P.A. can! The no choke/no primer carbs are a joke, but who is laughing now?

• gdj204
    10 years ago

Speaking of newer engines, I recently acquired an Earthquake chipper, made in Wisconsin, but the engine, I presume, is made in China and is likely a Honda clone. It is a 212cc Viper engine, complete with choke and fuel-shutoff valve. I put oil in the engine and decided to give the rope a few very gentle pulls to "pre-lube" the engine before starting it. Except I forgot to pull the spark plug wire. The first very gentle pull on the rope and engine starts and stays running! I've started it dozens of times since, and only once did it require two pulls. It appears to be a nice engine.

I think B&S days are numbered unless they really get on the ball.

• rustyj14
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The only thing i can see as to why we (not me) buy those things made in gook-land! PRICE!
    Why pay $200 for a new lawn mower, when i can buy one made in China, for half of the cost?!
    nobody thinks of how it will affect the factories on the home front. The average American thinker will equate low price to great value, and buy Chink stuff! The buyer will be able to brag about the low price he paid for his shiny new machine, made in Hong Kong! (Oh, isn't that near Hoboken?)
    Well, the AMT will be able to sit and look at his piece of cheap junk, until the American factories fall apart, and the workers have to go on welfare. (Which will then be done away with!)

Sponsored