Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elvis_presley

Craftsman LT-1000 hard starting

elvis_presley
11 years ago

About ten years old. Briggs 18HP ovc intek motor. Well-maintained.

Won't turn over. If it does, smoke and gas or oil comes out of the motor.

My guesses are that the float needle is stuck, or that I mistakenly used 30w-5 oil instead of straight 30w, and that it's leaking past. But I am definitely not an expert.

Any advice?

Comments (11)

• rcbe
    11 years ago

find full model # - s/b on plate/tag in cavity below tilting seat.
    Do same with engine - should have it's own ID Plate or stamped on engine hsg sheet metal.

m/w, strong possibility that you have raw fuel in engine oil. DO NOT run engine until oil/filter refreshed.

reply back - one of the resident experts should be by to help.

• elvis_presley
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Tractor model number is 917.272761

Could not find number on engine. Based on tractor part list, it is
    31H777-0202-e1 I'm 90% sure this is correct

• bill_kapaun
    11 years ago

I come up with the same engine-

I think your assumption about the float is correct, although I wouldn't use the term "stuck".
    Likely, you have a small piece of crud that's found its way down into the needle/seat of the carb.

Basically, you have to remove the float so the needle can come out, flush the fuel line and reinstall.

DO change the oil before running.You also probably want to remove the spark plug, (ground the plug wire to prevent spark) and crank the engine over a few times to "blow" all the excess gas/oil mix out of the cylinder.

• rcbe
    11 years ago

OP - agree with Bill - carb cleaning/rebuild in order. Might also consider installing using/inline fuel shutoff valve as you have a gravity feed fuel tank setup.Will help prevent future similar problems.

• elvis_presley
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I usually only use ethanol free gas in my machines. But it's expensive, and out of my way. So the beginning of this season I bought ten gallons of "oxygenated" fuel. Maybe that was the culprit.
    Thanks for your help

• rcbe
    11 years ago

...ufda !!

• bill_kapaun
    11 years ago

You might consider replacing the section of fuel line between the fuel filter & carb.
    It may be starting to deteriorate and "shedding chunks" down to the carb. OR better yet, replace all of the rubber fuel line.
    It could be the alcohol is "cleaning" old crud that has built up in it, or simply degrading OLD fuel line faster.

• rustyj14
    11 years ago

Seek local professional help! Bite the bullet, bow low to the professional help, pay what they ask, and ride yer machine-merrily mowing and cutting.
    by: Rusty Jones

• elvis_presley
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Rebuilt the carb, changed the oil, replaced the fuel line, added an inline filter and a shutoff. Starts and runs perfect now. Thanks for your help.
    Rusty--some of us are capable of doing this stuff without hiring a pro,

• bill_kapaun
    11 years ago

Glad it's running!

I'm not sure how fast you use up 10 gallons of fuel, but I wouldn't buy much more than a 30 day supply at a time.
    The alcohol absorbs moisture while it sits.

I also fill the tank to the brim after using, IF the equipment is going to be sitting for an EXTENDED time.
    That reduces the air space in the tank.
    As the daily temperature changes, the air inside expands/contracts. This "breathing" pulls in fresh, moisture laden air. The alcohol absorbs the moisture and the next day repeat....
    The more humid the climate, the worse the problem.

• elvis_presley
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I went out and got ethanol free fuel. Kinda expensive and inconvenient to get, but worth it. If it's going to sit more than a month, i use synthetic fuel stabilizer as well. I won't make the mistake of ethanol fuel in my small engines again.... I was in a hurry, and the station that carries nonoxygenated fuel is pretty far away from my home.

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler