Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mownie

My lawn mower runs too fast

mownie
10 years ago

Probably will not have to worry much about addressing complaints about this mower on the forum.

Here is a link that might be useful: lawn mower too fast

Comments (7)

• krnuttle
    10 years ago

I have trouble getting mine up to speed before I hit the other end of the yard, It also tears up the yard a little when I start up and in the corners as I go around the house.

• larso1
    10 years ago

I can't help but wonder what it could really do with a blower (say a conservative 6-psi) and NOS setup......

• rustyj14
    10 years ago

Mownie:
    Here's a question about old Ford Flat-head V/8's:
    Don't know if you are old enough to know the answer, but some other reader might!
    Why-when ya looked in the glove box, didja usually find a bunch of 1/4 inch lock washers, and a half-inch open-end wrench? Any body know? Rustyj

• krnuttle
    10 years ago

Because it was that simple to replace the head gasket. In about 1963, my 1952 ford started to leak, the guy in the filling station charged me $10 to replace mine.

In my opinion the flat head was one of the best engines ever made. It got good gas mileage, and the head gasket is the only problem I every had with it.

It is interesting as I remember I got about 17-18 on a manual transmission Flathead V-8 in a 1952 Ford Custom 4 door. It was the size of my 2005 Chevy Astro van with a V-6 automatic, The Astro Van with 53 years of research and electric components to improving performance for better gas mileage gets 17-18 miles per gallon.

What could have we done with the same research money on developing nuclear energy for use in house and autos.

This post was edited by knuttle on Sun, Jul 21, 13 at 22:08

• mownie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well rustyj, ya got me on that one.
    By the time I actually got to working on cars in the late sixties, OHV engines were already pretty much the norm.
    But I used to hear tales about them older engines, and I can't say I ever heard any references to 1/4" lock washers and 1/2 open end wrenches being standard glove box items.
    So, what did y'all do with 'em?

• rustyj14
    10 years ago

Mownie, and others:
    The 1948's and older fords had the mechanical fuel pump mounted on the oil fill tube, on the rear top of the engine. These were the V/8's. There was a push rod that was inside the oil fill tube, and it operated the pump. The pump arm had a small cup attached to it, and that cup fit over the push rod, and the pump was held on by 2, 1/4 inch bolts. Occasionally, we'd have a problem of worn pumps, but usually out away from any place to buy a new pump. And the engine wouldn't run on the small amount of gas it put out. And this is where those items came in handy:We'd use the end wrench to remove the fuel line, and then the pump. We'd then stuff one lock washer up inside the little cup, and hold it in place with some chewing gum, or dum-dum. We'd reinstall the pump, and get back on the road. And now ya know!

• mownie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

OK, so you were "shimming" the contact cup to get a fuller stroke and pump a little bit more gas.
    I can see that working.

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz