Return to the Tractors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Craftsman Mower 917.259573 dies when blades are engaged

Posted by RobLeeTX TX (robleehughes@gmail.com) on
Tue, Jul 29, 14 at 11:54

I Have a craftsman riding mower 917.259573 with a manual PTO engage lever. The mower starts and runs fine but dies when I engage the blades. The blades will start spinning before it dies and even if I quickly disengage the blades it does not recover.

I replaced the seat safety switch - no help. Check the deck pulleys and spun the blades ok. I removed the mower belt and engaged the PTO - engine continued to run. So I am thinking anything to do with the safety switch is ok.

there is a 30 Amp fuze in the wiring harness - but I am thinking if it was blown the engine would not even start.

Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Craftsman Mower 917.259573 dies when blades are engaged

Sounds like an engine power issue.
Check the carb/intake system for loose bolts/air leaks etc.

o

Thanks Bill, After my first post I tried full power before engaging the blades as it was dying I disengaged the PTO and choked it to keep the engine running. Did this about 5 times and the engine stayed running with the blades engaged. I think it was a power issue as well due to the mower setting for several months while I was trying to fix another issue.

I think we can call this one solved!

Thanks!
Rob

o

Probably stale gas.

o

Twin cylinder one side not working Mabe a valve problem on one side if one is bad replace both heads use 20 50 racing oil or synthetic oil no more head problems change oil 8 to 10 hours engine wares out quickly with straight 30 they took anti ware stuff out know they just call it convenital oil

o

one cylinder not firing? had that issue and replaced pushrods for a complete fix.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tractors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here