Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
johns08

Are you seeing more bees?

johns08
12 years ago

I noticed while mowing my lawn (lots of clover) that there are many more honeybees than in previous years. Hopefully, the parasites and sudden colony collapse problem has lessened. My neighbors must think I am crazy the way I keep stopping my lawn tractor to let the bees get out of the way. It is a shame so many are killed when we mow, but I guess the only practical answer is to get rid of the clover - which I intend to do when the bees are not so active.

Comments (9)

• mownie
    12 years ago

You don't want to kill bees by running over them?
    But you are willing to deprive them of a livelihood by taking away their clover?
    Have you thought this through?
    All you need to do is slow your mowing pace down a bit and the bees will mostly fly off the blossom and escape as the mower nears them.

• metal
    12 years ago

I'm mowing up my baby bumblebee, won't my Momma be so proud of me....

• andyma_gw
    12 years ago

I consider clover a good thing. It is nitrogen fixing. Glad to hear bees are coming back. We would really be in a fix if they died off

• tomplum
    12 years ago

You bet. Our hive is doing well. We toss clover in the side lawn for them as well. Plenty of other bees too. Andyma is right. Plant more clover. Heck, years ago - clover was added to grass seed to help it along- before some genius found a new way to poison the chain.

• rcmoser
    12 years ago

If I see two honey bees a year that's alot around my neck of the woods. Native Honey bees are in serious decline by the mite and Aficizing in the southwest to central US. Any swarm you see out of the hive I would be very leary of.

• ewalk
    12 years ago

Lots of Clover within the Back Acreage , which I have to cut this week before the next rains . Cut last Wednesday prior to leaving for Dayton Ohio .

Note: The Honey Bee's are thriving in Northern Ontario .

• doberman_2007
    12 years ago

The clover is the only thing green , we need rain badly.
    The only things I see are hornets ,a story.One day while working in a nearby town on a super hot day. I looked up and saw a black mass slowly moving our way . The closer it came to realize it was a huge swarm of bees .We simply moved out of the way they flew into the barns and out the back entry door.
    A few stragglers here and there, we all looked at eachother and went back to work.

• johns08
    Original Author
    12 years ago

One reason bees get chopped up during mowing is that they cannot hear and seem to be obivious to the danger of a lawn mower or tractor. They don't get scared off even right next to the deck. Going very slowly might help, but it could take twice as long to mow.

• ewalk
    12 years ago

Don't Know about the Eyesight or Acute Hearing of Honey Bees John08 , but can assure you that Canadian Honey Bees can certainly sense Virbration ! Come even close to their Hive with a Lawnmower and you will get a Rude Reception.
    Have to admit have not had many delay me during routine mowing while away from their hive location within Clover , they normally move along before I get within range.

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor