Return to the Tractors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Battery charger repair

Posted by hanick none (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 20, 13 at 12:31

I have a Schumacher 1275A-PE 2/12/75amp charger that I just spent $30 on a circuit board that is still broke (feel like an idiot) and I am wondering if you would help me. http://www.centurytool.net/229900091...2299000911.htm
Plugged in lights up quiet hum on 2amp 8.6v output, 12amp 10.8 v outputand loud hum on engine start 13.6v output. Take off rectifier leads after 10min transformer very warm. Transformer output 30v ac on leads to rectifier, 15v on either one to the center. Diodes tested seperately to the plate, infinity one way reads 440-475 the other. arectifier plate reads 13.2v. Could the SCR be bad and how do you test it? Circuit breaker is fine. Meter always reads 100%. On light is on. Full charge light is on when I hit engine start.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Battery charger repair

Unless you're qualified to do board level diagnosis and repair I'd consider a $70 battery charger disposable rather than chance that a $30 part would fix it.

Electronics are a PITA to fix in this surface mount and IC day and age. Stuff is designed to be cheap to manufacture and that usually means don't try to fix it unless you find a bad connection or blown fuse.

Did you contact Schumacher to see if they would warranty the charger?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tractors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here