Return to the Tractors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
MTD mower will not move

Posted by horace 8 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 31, 14 at 14:01

I have a mtd mower model 13w27752031 was doing fine parked it when I went to use it again motor cranked fine
but tractor would not move there seems to be a lot of slack in belt pulled belt off and it does not appear to be worn

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: MTD mower will not move

2 things you might chk:
1) verify park brake mechanism is not frozen up (located on side of tranny case) (loosen with several shots of rattlecan brake pad cleaner)
2) with good drive belt installed (no excessive slack), make sure that driven input pulley into tranny is not turning by itself on input shaft due to damaged shaft splines...

o
RE: MTD mower will not move

What happens is that the variable speed pulley has not shifted back so that there is tension on the front belt. The remedy is to put the shifter into neutral, and increase the ground speed to the fastest position while the engine is running. This will reset the pulley and you can now put it into forward and reverse and go. If still a no go, my guess is that the rear belt is off which is accessible if you remove the battery.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tractors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here