Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
horace_gw

MTD mower will not move

horace
9 years ago

I have a mtd mower model 13w27752031 was doing fine parked it when I went to use it again motor cranked fine
but tractor would not move there seems to be a lot of slack in belt pulled belt off and it does not appear to be worn

Comments (3)

• rcbe
    9 years ago

2 things you might chk:
    1) verify park brake mechanism is not frozen up (located on side of tranny case) (loosen with several shots of rattlecan brake pad cleaner)
    2) with good drive belt installed (no excessive slack), make sure that driven input pulley into tranny is not turning by itself on input shaft due to damaged shaft splines...

• tomplum
    9 years ago

What happens is that the variable speed pulley has not shifted back so that there is tension on the front belt. The remedy is to put the shifter into neutral, and increase the ground speed to the fastest position while the engine is running. This will reset the pulley and you can now put it into forward and reverse and go. If still a no go, my guess is that the rear belt is off which is accessible if you remove the battery.

• stuagain
    8 years ago

My MTD RH 175 died the other day in that motor starts and runs but in Forward or Reverse it screeches and has blue smoke from the engine drive pulley. Belt was cracked and worn, replaced that. Easier to put on than take off. But still same problem. Eventually noticed that belt was stuck in the variable speed pulley and even with both belts off the twin pulley would not rotate. Bearing obviously seized. Top retainer bolt and thrust washer loose with twisted metal poking up from the bearing rollers!

Started to dismantle the bearing cup and eventually got the bearing cup off the bearing and mounting plate. The pulley axle and the bearing are now on either side of the mounting frame, the bearing will not drop through the mounting plate!

Is the bearing retained in position by a pin or circlips?

Any ideas how to separate the bearing and pulley spindle without dismantling the whole of the rear body work and frame. Will a small hub puller work if no circlips or pins. Parts diagrams are not clear and many parts including the bearings are not available via MTD concessions. Hopefully if I can get it off I can measure the bearing and find one from a commercial site.

Any help appreciated.

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA