Return to the Tractors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
PTO belt

Posted by tdsmith 7a (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 25, 10 at 14:12

The PTO belt on my Simplicity Regent seems loose. The PTO stopped engaging a couple of days ago so I adjusted the clutch with a feeler gauge and the belt has some play in it. Is it supposed to be loose or tight?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: PTO belt

How old is the belt? Are you checking the "looseness" with deck raised, or lowered? Belt will be a bit tighter when deck is lowered, and that's where the work is done, so if the belt is not slipping (you can see, hear, feel.....the blades slowing or stalling) when you mow, you're probably OK.
If the belt is more than 3 years old, look for cracks on the V side of the belt. If you find numerous or deep cracks, replace it, it is stretched out.
If the belt is new, is it the OEM replacement belt?
Aftermarket belts can be a tad longer or shorter than the OEM spec dimensions, requiring adjustments in some cases.

o
RE: PTO belt

I did feel a few cracks in the belt and it's 5 years old.
When I would disengage the blades it would make a long whine or screech sound for a few seconds until it stopped turning. Does that mean the clutch has worn out and is finished?
When I pull the knob out to start the blades, it doesn't make a click sound so I am thinking that it's a problem with the wires or a plug. I want this to be an easy fix so I won't have to pay someone to replace expensive parts.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tractors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here