Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
indoroowet

Murray garden tractor/mower

indoroowet
10 years ago

I *inherited* an older Murray Riding Mower (model 46500X92A). Unit is in a very good condition, even *looks* new, after I cleaned and waxed the unit ...
I would like to know how to add a snow blade to this machine, from those who have done it.
I have *found* a snow blade, but it is *incomplete*. The majority of the parts are *there*, but how to attach it to the Murray frame, is what I like to know.

Does anyone recognise the snow blade and knows who made it ?

Thank in advance for any info.

Regards,
IR

Comments (5)

• rustyj14
    10 years ago

In the first place---your tractor is not built heavy enough to use a snow plow on it!
    Second, the front axle will likely not be strong enough to carry the weight of the plow assembly.
    That said, here's an idea:
    If you insist in using it to plow snow, you must reinforce the frame, both behind and in front of the front axle, by welding in U-shaped plates, over the axle area, on each side. If all you have is the plow as shown, then you will have to fabricate a long steel section that will pass under the rear axle and bolt to the draw-bar plate at the rear. It also must stick out far enough at the front, to have a vertical steel plate, to which you will bolt the existing plate of the plow, as seen in the photo.
    It appears to me that the plow is tilted by a handle/ lever that you pull back to tilt the plow. These instructions are offered only from analyzing the photos, and to give you some ideas on how to do the job. These instructions on building the side plates, etc. are offered free of charge, in the interest of helping further education of the masses.
    Note: This method does not allow for the lifting of the plow, only for tilting it back, or forward.
    Also: If you are thinking about doing a lot of snow plowing, or dirt work--go buy a bigger tractor! Your machine is a LAWN TRACTOR--ONLY!

• indoroowet
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yikes ... , shows you how much I know about lawn mowers. ...
    Reason I was asking is because the *optional attachments list* does show a snow blade offered for this particular machine.

I did *lurk* some more on the net and noted that when a snow blade is mounted on one of these similar machines, the thingamajig does show brackets hanging from the front AND the rear (as you suggested).

FYI, I do have a good lawn mower (self propelled and high vacuum type, so no cleaning up afterward), and I have a good snow blower (self propelled, etc etc.) What was interesting to me is that the factory (Murray literature) did show the snow blade attachment.
    In my case, I have a fairly long (about 400 feet) drive way and at my age, even with a self propelled snow blower, *walking* behind the bloody bugger, does get tiresome ...
    Maybe I should somehow fashion a seat behind the snowblower ???
    Hence my question.

Thanks for the answer and suggestions.
    I like to tinker, so I may be able to do something about this.
    The snow levels here in our area seldom get above 6 inches, but it slopes up near the road, thus slipping and sliding if not cleared !
    If it does NOT work, *oh well*, it was fun building the darn thing ! Right now, the grand kids run that thing ragged all over the place [mower deck removed] !!!
    BTW, the lawn mower does have these humongous wide knobby rear tires !

Also, that blade does have two levers/handles, one to move it left or right (angle it ?) and one to lift the blade (I tried it and it does lift !).

Thanks again. I appreciate your time and effort.

• bus_driver
    10 years ago

I suspect that the transaxle on that unit will die very quickly with such loads placed on it.

• rustyj14
    10 years ago

Note:You can make a sort of 2 wheeled dolly, and attach it to the back of your current snow-blower/thrower, on a trailer hitch ball, bolted to the back of the blower housing. It would need to be reinforced, to handle the stresses of riding on it, and the turning forces. It would be tricky to back up, but it would turn ok on a forward motion. Install a comfy upholstered seat and a pair of foot-rests, to accomodate yer heavy boots when sitting on it. They do sell a plastic cab, snow shield, to mount on the thrower, and that would make it comfy inside.
    One thing: On the tractor, you would need snow chains on the rear wheels, especially. they are available-not cheap. Those knobby tires will just slide on the snow. HTH: Rusty J.

• indoroowet
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sometimes the brain does not get into gear until after at least two cups of coffee ??? I was thinking, you were still speaking of the riding mower, but then I realised you were trying to help me with my current snow blower ... ! I think that with the proper attachment points placed in the correct places, a *one wheel* dolly might suffice. Would be something if it works, no ?
    I always wonder, since I do thinker a lot and have often come up with some strange doo-hickys that actually make life easier, especially after years of retirement, would those *doo-hickys* be marketable, or at least I should put them on some kind of forum and let other people just build it for themselves ! Thanks again for your concern Rusty ! I really appreciate that !.
    BTW, speaking of *backing up the blower*, the area I have to plow is wide enough, so that I very seldom have to *back up*. It is just the time it takes and my lesser ability to walk behind anything for a long time. The old leg bones begin to complain, and then I am sore for hours ...

Now I am thinking if a snow blower can be separated and I just put the front end of the blower in front of the riding mower ... One correctly sized belt ought to drive the blower ??? Now I have to find a Snow blower in dire need of repair ! Oh oh, here I go again !

Thanks again.

IR

Sponsored