Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
davidtime

Avoiding Sales Tax on Riding Mowers?

davidtime
12 years ago

I was looking for cheap riding mowers out of my state of Oklahoma so that I could avoid the sales tax. This site suggests this. Does anyone have any experience doing this and is it something to consider? Advice welcome.

Comments (14)

• ckr74
    12 years ago

Why wouldn't you want to pay sales tax? Tax is what makes the world go round. You'll pay in shipping charges. Damn!!

• baymee
    12 years ago

I worked for a boiler manufacturer and it was cheaper to pay shipping charges of $300 than to pay the state tax of $600, so people would have them shipped.

This probably isn't true of a riding mower. I'd buy used from some person locally.

• rcmoser
    12 years ago

Mister tax man going to put stop to this LOL. I wouldn't be broadcasting it. All ready going after internet sales????????

• rustyj14
    12 years ago

Advice: Go spend $60 in gasoline, drive to another state that has no sales taxes, and buy the machine, then spend another $60 in gasoline and drive back home! Simple, eh?
    And you didn't have to pay the sales taxes. HMMM!
    Anybody need a money manager?

• drafted72
    12 years ago

I know someone who was able to avoid sales tax on his riding mower.

He lived in IL near the IL and IN border and went to the JD dealership in IN and purchased a JD mower and had it deliveried at no charge. Therefore no sales tax was charged on the purchase but it needed to be deliveried. Saving was about $250.

• User
    12 years ago

Some state, including mine, allow riding mowers to be taxed as agricultural equipment at a lower tax rate rather than charge prevailing sales tax.

That's how my local JD dealer does it. If that isn't legal I hope Taxation and Revenue is monitoring this forum... ;)

• doberman_2007
    12 years ago

Death and Taxes 2 thing ya gotta do.

• rcmoser
    12 years ago

Nope death gets you free or 15 years, Tax gets you LIFE with out any posibility of Parole ! 51% don't pay any taxes. That's the problem and that's why the government will never go to flat tax. If we do we would put millions of IRS, lawyers, and CPA's out of work. I see it as Al Capone effect. Pay little to Lawyers and CPA's to save alot. Bad example AL Capone was cub scout lemonade stand compared to Mister Tax man.

• tdscpa
    12 years ago

You could steal one. Or two, and sell one. Or three, and sell two.

• doberman_2007
    12 years ago

Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning
    Sir Winston Churchill.

• earthworm
    12 years ago

If, for the first time in our long and fabled history, the politicians do the right thing for the American masses, tax reform will occur.
    We may end up with a national sales tax and no income tax,and little to no IRS either..Worthy of consideration, IMO.
    But I have no compunction in evading the present state taxes, via INTERNET sales..but these can be risky as the service is zero.

• rcmoser
    12 years ago

"the politicians do the right thing" LOL! you got to be kidding right!? Earth I think that's pipe dream. Politicians have been known to be liar's, cheats, and thief's. Just a few that float to the top of the gut wagon that are due honorable mention! Until barnie fite, Harry the liar reed, Nancy outer space P. BB and big mouth shiltz are gotten rid of you will see more tax and spend IMO. And Where would we be with out fannie and fredie! geez I got stop! You know what the say about Politicians there better at spending your money than their's.

• tomplum
    12 years ago

I just pay mine and get a bit miffed at those who don't.

• magnum300
    12 years ago

That Place is in Oklahoma so you will end up paying tax anyway

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH