Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
exmar

There is a GOD

I was pulling the lawn sweeper behind the '82 Roper picking up excessive grass after mowing, it's still raining and we're still mowing like it's April here!! To make the sweeper load properly you have to run at about 4 MPH. This is something I've done many times. Unbeknowst to me, one of the dogs had dug a hole (mole?)which I didn't see and while turning on a sidehill the downhill tire went into it. Tractor flipped.

I'm fine. Getting the Explorer and a tow strap, flipped the tractor back on it's tires. Put away the tow strap and pulled the Explorer back to it's usual parking place. As I pushed the brake to stop it, the pedal kept going. Lost a brake line.... The Explorer is a '96 just rolled over 100,000 and runs great. My wife drives it to work every day, 12 country miles one way.

Obviously the brake line was ready to go, why did it choose to go in the driveway moving at 5MPH and not when she was driving it and someone stopped short or a deer jumped out?? Makes me wonder.

OH, the tractor started right up and I pulled it into the barn, I'll wander out later and check it over.

There's a picture of me around here on a JD "B" when I was 9 years old pulling a hay wagon and Dad, etc. were loading square bales. Been driving big and small tractors on these hills for over 50 years and never flipped one.

I'd always heard when a tractor goes over they go FAST, yep, they do!!!

Just sharing,

Ev

Comments (17)

• andyma_gw
    12 years ago

Some times it is better to be lucky, than good.

• tomplum
    12 years ago

You're livin' right!

• windcatcher
    12 years ago

Just because you hit a hole in the ground and the tractor turned over without you being hurt is no indication whatsoever
    there is some man made spook in the sky called a god.

Do you worship any of the other 4000+ gods from other religions?

If not, why not? Are you prejudiced or something?

"You must be living right". What about the rest of us who don't believe in sky spooks and have survived terrible things in our lives? Did your invisible spook visit us too?

Think about it. Not a single god, angel, devil, satan, lucifer, hell, or man made messiah has ever been seen doing one minutes worth of work outside of those well worn religious tales.

Heck, even people who have been fishing and drinking all day long can tell some very tall tales too.

• tomplum
    12 years ago

Nice rant windy! I don't know how many of us actually care about anyone else's beliefs on religion or lack there of this board. But I'm sure Ev appreciated it none the less. The man may have felt a higher power looked out for him or felt that he merely had a lucky day, I dunno. I'm glad he's safe and shared his experience. That's what a community board like this is for.

• exmar zone 7, SE Ohio
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yep, "just sharing," was what I said.

The point to be learned from this is 50+years of driving large tractors (and smaller ones) on steep hills, you can still get bit on the a**. Also, when one goes over, it happens FAST.

The interesting coincidence is, had I not flipped the tractor, I wouldn't have moved the wife's Explorer, revealing the brake problem. Coincidence, guardian angel, luck, "pick your choose."

"Heck," with 25 months in Vietnam when I was in the marines and four and a half rows of combat ribbons including two purple hearts I could tell some tall tales also.

Sorry to introduce a discordant note in the forum.

Ev

• exmar zone 7, SE Ohio
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Misspoke, two and a half rows.....

Ev

• windcatcher
    12 years ago

Tom,

Thanks for the comment alluding to being a "blow-hard". Right back at ya.

For some reason, even though this board and many others specifically state "No religion & politics" many of the rest of us abide by the rules, but certain people of a certain religion seem to side step those rules each and every time.

What's up with that mess? The board rules are there to be abided by *everyone* not just one sect or another. Got it?

How about if I start a new thread and have it focusing on the other side of things? How would that go over?

I'm sure it would be flagged as quickly as it can be, just because a certain religious group decides it wants to censor anyone else that doesn't happen to believe the way they do.

As far as Exmark being a former Marine, ect.., more power to him. There are plenty of men and women who have been in the service of this country and of the military units of other countries of the world for that matter that fought for their countries' rights and never believed for one second there was some man made spook in the sky.

The old adage, "There are no atheists in foxholes" is a misnomer just as much as the pundits of a certain religion are.

Here's some current proof: http://www.militaryatheists.org/expaif.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Atheists in foxholes - proof

• baymee
    12 years ago

"How about if I start a new thread and have it focusing on the other side of things? How would that go over?"

Maybe nobody would read it?

"just because a certain religious group decides it wants to censor anyone else that doesn't happen to believe the way they do."

Seems like an undeserved, over-reaction on your part. Exmark's beliefs aren't hurting you in the least.

• andyma_gw
    12 years ago

Glad you and yours are doing well Exmar. 2 coincidences combined resulted in my early diagnosis of breast cancer. Take your good fortune and run with it. I am

• windcatcher
    12 years ago

Baymee,

We all know what your religious persuasion tends to lend towards too.

The question isn't about Exmar's beliefs, nor yours, nor anyone else's spook in the sky beliefs.

The question is why make reference to said beliefs on the web site at all when it specifically says not to do so in the terms of service.

Understand that part? Or did Thor and Odin come visit you along with Vishnu, Amon-Ra, Orsisis, Neptune, Jupiter, Zeus, and all the other make believe gods?

• andyma_gw
    12 years ago

Windcatcher, I'm not particularily religious. But can you prove that there isn't a God?

• larso1
    12 years ago

Yah, he has a couple of web sites that confirm it....

• windcatcher
    12 years ago

"Windcatcher, I'm not particularily religious. But can you prove that there isn't a God?"

Hard to prove a negative. How about you proving a god exists with hard documented proof.

Don't try to include the bible, because it is known to be full of contradictions, absurdities and forgeries.

I'll get the popcorn.

• tomplum
    12 years ago

I DO have concrete proof that riding mowers do exist! I DO know that some times a cause and effect scenario can make one feel thankful and build upon the beliefs that are core of that individual- whether religious or not. I'm not a person who would take it upon himself to belittle that persons belief or make assumption of another from a few printed lines of text. Somehow life is bigger than that to me. My thought is that the OP's intent was to share an experience in a friendly manor. I can find attributes in anyone I meet that are different than how I see the world. Yet these people are a part of me and I accept them for who they are.

• andyma_gw
    12 years ago

WC, I dont particularly believe one way or t'other. But I'm tolerant of people's beliefs, even yours. The only reason I took issue was for your nit picking. ExMar was just relating a piece of good fortune. Good fortune is a precious commodity to me. The more you have, the more you get.

• exmar zone 7, SE Ohio
    Original Author
    12 years ago

PLEASE let this linke die!! It has gone so far from why I originally posted it, simply not to get complacent about small tractors and hillls. The rest was just some info.

• ewalk
    12 years ago

As you wish Ex . Andy Glad to hear all is well Dude . Tom Cudo`s..Bro !

Sponsored