Return to the Tractors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Scag 61' Turf Tiger won’t start.

Posted by submowiner (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 21, 09 at 15:31

I have a 61" Turf Tiger with the 27hp Kawasaki engine. I was mowing and turned it off when a friend stopped by. They left within about 15 minutes, and when I tried to restart, there was nothing. Typically when the key is turned to ‘on’ I can hear the fuel pump turn on, but there was nothing. During my trouble shooting it would sporadically turn on (when the key was ‘on’), but stops immediately when the key is moved to ‘start’

*Battery voltage is in excess of 12.5 volts.
*I checked the operation of all the safety switches for short / open functionality (left and right control, park brake, and seat).
*Voltage to fuel pump seems to range between 7.5 and 9.5 volts with the key ‘on’ and the fuel pump Disconnected. The readings always started .5 to 1 volt below the the final reading (capacitor?)
*Voltage to the fuel pump is about 4.5 volts with the key ‘on’ and the fuel pump Connected.
*Replaced key switch

Any ideas as to the cause?

Some background information that may or may not be relevant:
8 weeks ago I had the misfortune of sliding sideways into my pond. (I would recommend against trying this yourself) The mower was nearly completely submerged, no water was ingested. The safety switches were cleaned, the starting relay was replaced, the starter was rebuilt, hydraulic oil replaced, and the fuel tank drained of water. There was no evidence of water in the engine oil. It has operated without incident since. There is a black box filled with epoxy that I think is used with the safety switches, and a box on the side of the engine that I think is the engine control chip. Both seem to be impervious to water.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Scag 61' Turf Tiger won’t start.

shot in the dark - when mower went in the drink, ignition sw got doused good - now starting to corrode inside causing intermittant power delivery to fuel pump, etc. as you described ?

o

That was the first thing I thought of too... well after I got past the 'what now?'. I bought a new ignition switch last night. When it didn't work, I figured I needed some help. Thanks!

o

well, being that whole machine got soaked, I'd chk every connection where corrosion could happen.

o

Call MOM(Scag)920-387-3150 and ask for R&D.They may be able to help.

o

I suspect the battery cables are corroded. A drastic voltage drop indicates to me that the current can't get through. (Assuming your battery has lots of current capability.) Sometimes corroded battery connections don't look corroded. Also did the battery go in the pond? If so the electrolyte may have been contaminated, overfilled, and the battery ruined. A bad battery can, under certain conditions, show a good voltage but have no current capacity to back it up. Clean your cables and battery terminals to shiny metal, check the electrolyte levels, then charge the battery with a good correctly sized charger. A quick test would be to jump start it. (Before anyone jumps in here and says....Oh no don't jump start it you'll burn something out like your voltage regulator, starter, or any number of other things. That's just pure fiction. You can jump start your mower from a B-52 as long as you hook the cables up properly to 12 volts DC. Actually a B-52 might have a higher voltage than 12....

o

There are two 20 amp blade fuses located on the wiring harness near the ignition switch. One of them is for the carb. fuel shut-off solenoid.

o

***"There are two 20 amp blade fuses located on the wiring harness near the ignition switch. One of them is for the carb. fuel shut-off solenoid."***
If this is an EFI Kaw, disregard the reference to carb & fuel solenoid. The comment about "hear the fuel pump" made me think this engine might be EFI.
If this is an "Electronic Fuel Injection" Kaw, you may have sustained water damage to the Electronic Control Module (ECM or ECU). I don't know how Kaw has the ECM configured on this application, but some vehicles with engine management computers are arranged so the ECM can inhibit the operation of the cranking motor (starter) if it decides that enabling the starter is not safe. This also means (on those vehicles) that a defective ECM will keep the starter from engaging. Not saying it's your issue, but no reason to overlook that possibility either.
You might be wise to call SCAG and discuss this with them. If the Kaw ECM is not configured to exert control over the starter, then you will just need to keep looking at the conventional stuff (grounds and harness connectors, etc.)

o

Try the guys over at www.lawnsite.com

Many Scag operators over there!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tractors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here