Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rcmoser

Fire season

rcmoser
13 years ago

For those that own old LTs (say 6 years or older) or brought used and don't know the condition it maybe wise to inspect your fuel hoses. WHY? Fuel hoses over time dry rot and start cracking (especially if stored outside), eventually they will leak at the cracks especially on sharp bends due to vibration from LT.

I say this cause couple of years I visited my aunt, she lost her husband and I went over her LT while I was there, it was about 7 or 8 years old and V-twin briggs. Right where the fuel hose connected about 90 degree bend to the carb. it showed signs of wetness? I attempted to remove it and it just popped open. That is not a place where you want any signs of a fuel leak.

I done a complete de-cowling and inspection after I cleaned the dirt off. Found fuel hose where it went through the frame almost chafed through. Ended up replacing all the rubber fuel lines, filter, clamps from the tank to the carb. and plumbed it out so it would not chafe.

I also done all the routine pre-ventive maintenance listed in the owners manual to bring it up to date. Which included cleaning of the cylinder fins, all filters, cleaned the plugs, sharpen the blades, inspected and greased the spindles. Tractor still running good, I was amased how much oil it held just tad over two quarts.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Top Choice for Reliable Outdoor Construction