Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brokentractor

Craftsman Mower deck (clutch) Won't engage

brokentractor
17 years ago

Hello - I have a 10 year old Sears 18.5 hp GT model 917.251481. Two weeks ago the mower deck quit working. I saw that the electric clutch was not turning when the switch was on. After trying to adjust, I ordered a new clutch ($200.00). Installed that and still no action. Talked with several people and ended up replacing the PTO switch and the switch that senses the brake/clutch. Still nothing. I disconnected the seat switch cable and tried shorting that with a paper clip (just to see if that was the problem - bty engine starts even with this cable disconnected?) --- No luck. Please, anyone with an idea (my wife is ready to kill me).

Comments (68)

• sue_as
    15 years ago

My Mother has a Craftsman GT 23 HP electric start.
    Question:
    If I jump start the tractor, will the electric clutch run.
    Right now the battery is dead.
    I used to be able to do so with another Sears lawn tractor.
    Right now - no moola for a new battery but the grass is growing.
    Reason I'm asking - I already tried but the clutch shuts of after a minute or so.
    The post by jimc_vt suggest the answer in no but just want to see if it is possible.
    This tractor and the lawn belong to my 89 year old mother.
    I'm just trying to help her.

• wagstdy
    15 years ago

Sue,
    The electric PTO will need a constant 12v to stay engaged. Sounds like your battery is losing its charge after a minute or so. Can you charge the battery for a while before mowing? i.e. do you have a battery charger? If you don't have a charger, leave the jumper cables connected to a running car/truck for a while (maybe 15 minutes or more) and see if that gives the mower battery enough juice to keep the PTO engaged long enough to mow the grass. You might also consider disconnecting the battery wires and cleaning the connectors/terminals first before anything else.

• bill_kapaun
    15 years ago

Can you post the 917.xxxxx number. Sometimes one can figure out what charging system you have from that.
    Lawn tractors can have a variety of charging systems. Some are barely sufficient to charge the battery and keep the PTO energized. Some have a "surplus" of power.
    IF you don't have a battery charger, run the mower at higher speed without the PTO engaged for 10-20 minutes and see if that helps. It may get enough charge into the battery to get you "over the hump". Maybe not?
    DO mow with the engine at full speed. ALL charging systems put at less at slower speeds. The marginal ones won't put out enough for the PTO AND battery charging, especially if the battery is low.

Do you have a voltmeter? IF you do, you should have >13V across the battery when running at high speed.

• tallcutofgrass
    14 years ago

It was my dead battery! I had the same problem as many above. All of my blades and belts were free of obstruction and turning smoothly, but after jumping off the battery and engaging the PTO the engine would start to quit unless I dissengaged the PTO. After reading above, I tried the least expensive first, leaving the jumper cables attached when trying to start the blades. They started right up with no problems. Get a new battery if yours is dead. My lawn tractor works fine now.

• mownie
    14 years ago

Check back next year to let us know if the new battery provides a lasting fix. Good luck.

• bretskie27
    14 years ago

Hello,

New to the site. I have a question for anyone who knows craftsman tractors. I have a 2001 Craftsman LT1000 with a 18hp kholer engine. The model number is 917.272420.

My issues is as follows. I was mowing today and while mowing the deck stopped. I turned off the tractor, restarted it and tried to pull the hydrostatic knob to turn on the deck. There is no response when I pull the knob and there is no wound of the pulleys even moving. The mower just quit.

I unplugged the wire harness from the hydrostatic button and cleaned it out still no response. If I turn on the mower and then pull the red knob then get off the tractor shuts off. Therefore i think its not the wire harness its something else.

Any help would be appreciated

• bretskie27
    14 years ago

Hello,

New to the site. I have a question for anyone who knows craftsman tractors. I have a 2001 Craftsman LT1000 with a 18hp kholer engine. The model number is 917.272420.

My issues is as follows. I was mowing today and while mowing the deck stopped. I turned off the tractor, restarted it and tried to pull the hydrostatic knob to turn on the deck. There is no response when I pull the knob and there is no wound of the pulleys even moving. The mower just quit.

I unplugged the wire harness from the hydrostatic button and cleaned it out still no response. If I turn on the mower and then pull the red knob then get off the tractor shuts off. Therefore i think its not the wire harness its something else.

Any help would be appreciated

• tkandtkalex
    14 years ago

Does anyone have the torque value for the bolt holding the clutch to the engine? When I removed the bolt, it was extremely tight and I do not want it to come loose while I am mowing the yard.

• rcbe
    14 years ago

tkandtkalex:

PLEASE start a new thread on fist page of this forum and also supply make/model number from the ID plate on your machine.

• count_23
    13 years ago

I have a Craftsman LT2000 model# 917273140 and my pto will not engage. I just put a new battery in it and got it running after 2 years of not running and the pto will not work. Can some help

• mownie
    13 years ago

I have a PDF manual that covers testing and adjusting the PTO clutch units. I could e-mail it if you send me an e-mail. If the machine has some hours on it, the "air gap" of the clutch probably needs a normal adjustment. Rust on the mating surfaces of clutch mechanism (from inactivity) might be adding to the air gap issue. DO NOT spray anything on this clutch attempting to "bust rust".
    Whatever you do, don't start buying a bunch of new parts without us (that means you) doing the necessary testing first. I just looked at the wireing diagram for your machine and it has a total of 3 operator presence relays (some have only one or none). I'll look over the diagram in case we (you) have to get down and dirrty. Oh yeah, please create a new thread for continuance of addressing this machine and the PTO problem. This thread is getting too crowded for the kind of detail work we might have to resort to :^)

• tractorman185
    13 years ago

Craftmans garden tractor (46 in deck, 23 hp Koler) ... 10th season mowning 2-3 acres (yes, it is very used)

Problem: After sitting overnight, will mow normanlly for approx 20 minutes then blades almost stop turning (but do continue to turn, just at too slow speed to cut grass) ... Let "cool off" for 30-40 minutes, will then mow OK for 10 munites, etc.

Can a well-used electric clutch "over heat" and start to lose ability to transmit torque?

Advice?

• rcbe
    13 years ago

they can. But, the belt may also not have enuff tension after warming up, too... or possibly a bearing or spindle the same way. Is there any unusual noise/smell/smoke etc. when this happens?

• tractorman185
    13 years ago

No smoke or smell (though the belt has been smoked in past when the kids let the deck plug-up ... but at this time, no deck plugging either)

I am sure some of the pully bearings are well worn but can't see them changing dimensionally enough due to heat-up such that belo losses tension

Belt stretching with heat could be a possibility - not sure how to trouble-shoot

Think next step might be to take belt off after it "heats up and stops mowing" and see of clutch engages with pull of PTO switch - but how can I tell it clutch is fully engaged (with engine running but belot off) ???

• rcbe
    13 years ago

might try using a jumper wire setup to supply 12 vdc directly to PTO clutch connector. If you hear a solid click each time voltage is applied, chances are good that the PTO itself is OK..

That drive belt - if it's a noname aftermarket special, would replace it with an OEM belt. Depending on the material used in belt construction, belt length change can become an issue.but- the fact that you say it's already been smoked a few times - will also allow stretching under load/heat.

But, closely check the spindle and idler pulley brgs - there's a greater chance for one of them to start seizing up after getting hot.

• mownie
    13 years ago

I have doubts about the problem being in the PTO clutch assembly. The friction material in the clutch would not survive any period of slipping. My money is on the belt being worn out to the point it is burying itself to the bottom of the pulleys and that will cause it to lose its grip and ability to drive with any power. To try and explain the fact that the belt works for a short time, I offer this. Belts always take a "set" when they stop running. The "set" means that as they cool, they tend to become stiff and want to remain somewhat shaped where they stopped, resulting in a slight hump or bulge where the belt wrapped around a pulley. This set causes the belt to be just a little bit tighter (except for when it gets back to the exact same spot where it was when it cooled down). That shape or set soon disappears when the belt warms up with use. As the belt gets warm, it also grows a bit in length, add that to the other factor (cold set) and you have a formula that might account for the belt running the blades at adequate speed for a short time and then quickly losing its grip when the heat is on. Maybe you need to take the belt off and find a new belt to compare it to. While you have the belt off, closely check your spindles and idlers as suggested already.

• tractorman185
    13 years ago

good thoughts - many thanks to all

looks like I pull the deck off this weekend - will let you know what happens

• gmtec2_comcast_net
    13 years ago

I have a craftsman 46" deck with a 15.5 Kohler engine. Ive been reading this thread and seem to have got the deck running again. I bypassed the PTO switch by wiring up my own switch coming off the battery. I was mowing for about 1/2 hr and the deck started to slow down, then it stopped, then would start again. I got off and watched the clutch, and it's not the belt tension. The clutch is actually stopping and restarting. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Oh model number 917.256600

• gcguay_gmail_com
    12 years ago

I'm not sure if this is a mower deck issue, but mower starts fine, but when I release the breack/clutch (foot pedal) after putting it in gear, it stalls ( I have the mower deck off). The Sears repair guy came and said it was probably the seat switch .... obviously not. Is this a clutch adjustment issue? Where is the clutch hidden?

• mownie
    12 years ago

If you would be so generous as to post the full technical model number of your Craftsman tractor, I might be able to look in my Craftsman manuals for the wiring diagram. The number needed will be under the seat and typically begins as 917.?????? (see the post directly above your post for example)
    Why are you so sure this is not a seat switch related problem?

• JORAN1959_YAHOO_COM
    12 years ago

MY PROBLEM IS MY BLADES RUN CONTINUOSLY EVEN WHEN I PULL THE LEVER DOWN TO DISENGAGE IT. DO I NEED TO TIGHTEN THE CABLE AND IF SO, HOW?

• rcbe
    12 years ago

Lose the capslock key, please... on these forums, all caps is considered shouting.

M/W, have you read your manual for clutch function/adjustment information? Most of 'em have good stuff on that.
    If you need to post back, please supply full model number from ID plate and more descriptive problem detail.

• Pencosky
    12 years ago

hello I have a craftsman riding mower.mower stopped working and didnt crank.I just put new battery in today and charged it.....when i pulled the pto yesterday when key on mover not running i heard click from mower deck,, now i hear no sound but fuse keeps blowing.I disconnected lights and connector plug that goes through mover deck, i think is going to clutch...I keep blowing fuses like 15 of them.......I isolated volt meter and hr meter but had no luck...also disconnected lights.cheched for visable wire shorts no luck.could i have burnt something up trying to use my battery charger on 200amp while i tryed jumping and starting it??it starts and runs well but fuse blows when i pull pto ANY IDEAS THANKS EDDIE

• rcbe
    12 years ago

short at defective pto switch...

• Bobbybaby
    10 years ago

I have a 48" Great Dane Stander Super Surfer...Model GDSSZ17KA...The clutch will not re-engage after I run the tractor between 15 and 20 minutes..Here's the part I'm confused about...I can run the tractor for a straight hour or even longer with the clutch engaged as long as I don't disengage the PTO...The clutch will start working after about 10 minutes...Is it possible the clutch is over heating, if so, how is it possible that as long as I don't disengage the clutch I can cut forever...any help would be appreciated...Bobby

• Bobbybaby
    10 years ago

I have a 48" Great Dane Stander Super Surfer...Model GDSSZ17KA...The clutch will not re-engage after I run the tractor between 15 and 20 minutes..Here's the part I'm confused about...I can run the tractor for a straight hour or even longer with the clutch engaged as long as I don't disengage the PTO...The clutch will start working after about 10 minutes...Is it possible the clutch is over heating, if so, how is it possible that as long as I don't disengage the clutch I can cut forever...any help would be appreciated...Bobby

• rcbe
    10 years ago

a "hot" clutch does not have the "clutching" power of a "cold" clutch. That said (Ahem), might be wise to chk two things: 1) that your battery is up to full strength. 2) that the air gap in your PTO clutch is set correctly (if it is the adjustable type).

• TopDawg69
    10 years ago

I have a craftsman model 917.242420 with an 18 hp Kohler engine. It is about 11 years old. I was mowing and smelled some rubber burning. I thought it was a belt, but it was not. I noticed some smoke from the top of the electric clutch and a small piece of rubber sticking out from the top. It looked like some type of seal had broken and lifted up. I poked at it with a screwdriver to position it for grabbing with pliers, but it slipped back into a groove (?) between the clutch and the shaft that comes down from the engine. I started it back up and there was not more burning, I engaged the clutch and things were okay. As I mowed, I had to disengage the clutch for a minute and when I reengaged the PTO switch, nothing happened. It also seems like the PTO switch has lost some of its "click." The engine runs fine and the mower moves fine, but there is no cutting. Before I spring for $100 for a clutch and another $30 for a PTO switch (I am not shopping at Sear's rip off parts direct), any specific directions on troubleshooting and especially on removing and installing a clutch would be appreciated. If you suggest electrical troubleshooting, I can do it, but the PTO switch has about five wires connected to it so I need explicit info. Thanks.

• rcbe
    10 years ago

If yer gonna refurbish with brand "x" parts, best hope they can provide you with info you desire.About the only thing I can advise you is that the old clutch is best taken off with an impact wrench and once loose on the crankshaft will drop like a very heavy rock. Be careful.

• mownie
    10 years ago

How about you recheck the model #.
    917.242420 does not exist (according to the Sears Direct website).
    With the correct model number we might be able to find an explicit wiring schematic for your machine.
    And it would really be best if you create a new thread of your own to discuss this. Piggy backing a new post about an unrelated problem into old threads is not good for a number of reasons.

This post was edited by mownie on Tue, Jul 23, 13 at 0:30

• TopDawg69
    10 years ago

RE previous post from TopDawg69 -- model # is 917.272420 -- I was up too late when I posted the first time!

• SteveSEDY
    10 years ago

I Have a Craftsman 18.5 horse Twin-V model number 917.272040. Tractor is about 16 years old but still a great work horse until yesterday. Was mowing with Blades engaged coming down a slight incline when the engine just died and the mower came to a stop. Key on position showed no electric to the Amp meter on dash. So it blew the 15 amp fuse. As soon as I climbed off the tractor I notice a smell and some smoke coming from the electric clutch / pulley area the belt had burned a bit when coming to a stop. I replaced the fuse that brought the electric back, but the engine is locked up and the starter tries to turn it over but can't. My first thought was the engine blew up, but I didn't hear any metal on metal or Chaos from the engine, no oil or rods sticking through valve covers engine looks fine, it just stopped dead smoothly. After reading one of the entries in this post, I suspect that the electric clutch has failed and hung up the drive shaft to where the engine is locked / stuck. Is it possible that the clutch can fail and lock up the engine so it can not be turned over. Any help is appreciated. Part from sears is 219.00, and I'm sure a bear to get the old one off.

• mownie
    10 years ago

PLEASE start a new thread of your own to address this in depth.
    Hitching onto an ancient thread (hijacking) may cause some unwanted/irrelevant e-mails to be sent to earlier posters who were set up to get e-mail notification of responses to their posts.

Yes, it is possible for an electric PTO clutch to fail and stop the engine, but it is rare, and the PTO clutch must be of the type that has a "built in" blade brake feature.
    The old (original) style of electric PTO clutch could not act this way, when those locked up you simply would be unable to disengage the deck from cutting mode.

As to removing the PTO clutch from the engine CRANKSHAFT, the clutch is held onto the crankshaft with a 7/16" diameter bolt (5/8" wrench hex). You may need an impact wrench to remove the bolt if you can't hold the engine from turning. The bolt removes in the standard fashion of CCW to remove, CW to tighten (lefty loosey, righty tighty).
    The clutch assembly is relatively heavy and might fall off when the bolt is removed (I said "might") so be aware and don't let it smash a finger if it does.
    Before you remove the clutch from the crankshaft, note everything about how the clutch anti-rotation bracket is oriented into its holding fixture. The orientation of these 2 mating parts is crucial to the proper operation and health of your new clutch. Take a few photos of things before you remove something so you can review during installation.
    If you need more help, new thread please.

• SteveSEDY
    10 years ago

Thanks for your input. I'm sorry, I didn't realize I was "hijacking" anything here. It seemed similar problems existed in this posting, and I was having trouble finding anything on this weird problem.

• mownie
    10 years ago

I was simply explaining one reason not to jump onto an old thread to resolve an issue on a different machine.
    The other main reason is that a subsequent post tacked onto an old thread will not garner as much beneficial attention from some members as you will get by creating your own thread.
    Some members avoid getting involved when they see piggybacking new issues onto an old thread.

• ecogs22898
    8 years ago

Hi I hope somebody can help , I have a craftsman zero turn mower. The blades will only engage when I pull the pto button AND use the height of deck switch at the same time raise it or lower it doesn't matter I just have to have that switch depressed as well. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance

• rexlex
    8 years ago

anybody been fooling with the wiring on the tractor? Anyhow, you will need a schematic for that machine to trace why both switches must be engaged (not normal). might try a google search or looking in your craftsman documentation.

• ecogs22898
    8 years ago

As it turns out dead battery causing pto switch to draw power from the height of deck switch. Was really wierd. But thank you very much.

• jdr_reload
    8 years ago

Does anyone know the number on the diod for the mower clutch

• tomplum
    8 years ago

The diode is serviced only with the harness. A visit to radio Shack will fix you right up.

• jdr_reload
    8 years ago

Do you know the diode number

• Kevin Solowey
    7 years ago

For the most part if your battery is dead,you jump off the mowers the battery does not have the power to work the electric clutch. As soon as the clutch is engaged your charging unit drops in voltage.I had the same problem so I put a car battery in my mower more cranking amps means more power for your clutch.Over 40yrs experience,save money on parts this fixed my problem.Check your battery voltage first.Make sure you have at least 12 volts. Check plug going to the clutch not running key on at least 10volts. Think about larger battery.Good luck,I will check back on progress.

• Alex Berg
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Hi All,

Thanks for all the tips; you actually helped me solve my
    issue (the clutch did not engage). Two years ago, I decided to buy a “Portable Car
    Battery Charger” instead of keep buying new battery every winter, which apparently
    was the root-cause. I used the “Portable Car Battery Charger” to jump-start the
    tractor then disconnected it and start plowing but this year the clutch did not
    engage. Apparently, the clutch need some power from the battery and since my
    battery is dead it simple didn’t engage. So, as a "temporary solution" I ducted
    tape the “Portable Car Battery Charger” to the tractor hood and I keep it
    connected after the initial “jump-start” and the clutch (and me) are happy.
    Next week, I will get a new battery for the tractor and a “Battery Buddy” to keep the
    battery alive during the summers. Hopefully, this post will save others some
    time & $$

• Danny Stowe
    5 years ago

HELP!! I have a Cratsman ZTS 7500.. came with our new house. Mowed awesome until the drive belt broke last fall. I replaced the drive belt, mower deck trunnion and rod, and battery. It starts and runs fine but blades won't engage. They did very briefly, then smoked a little and now they won't. The mower cuts off if I get off with blades engaged but the best i can tell by holding my hand on the seat and looking is the top blade pully appears to be turning but not the bottom one, which routes to the two actual blade pulleys.. if I pull by hand they all seem to turn though? Haven't been able to mow since fall and this is really starting to drive me nuts, which in turn irritates the wife (you all know what I'm saying!!)

• HU-670126478
    5 years ago

HELP! I have a Craftsman PYT9000, 917.289720, purchased used this past summer. Has the snowthrower on currently. Used it in early December with no issues. However, a couple of weeks ago, we got snow and I was clearing our driveway when it stopped throwing snow. Engine still running fine, just stopped throwing. Parked it and grabbed the shovel. Travel and other issues cropped up, started doing some research and called local shop that works on these, was told clutch went out. Ordered new clutch, it arrived yesterday. During the wait, I tested the battery and it was dead and not holding a charge. Bought a new battery. Just finished installing new clutch and no luck, still does not engage. With engine NOT running, key ON, the clutch clicks when I pull the switch up. HELP! Will need this to throw snow again before the season ends, then need to swap for the mower deck.

• Alex Berg
    5 years ago

Hi HU-670...

- Does the engine starts with no issues (with the new battery)?

- What about the snow-thrower drive belt, is it rotating when you engage the thrower?

• HU-670126478
    5 years ago

Yes, tractor starts fine with new battery.

No, drive belt does not turn as the clutch does nothing but click when the switch is pulled up to the "ON" position.

• Alex Berg
    5 years ago

If you remove the “clutch idler assembly” will the “engine pulley” spin when you pull-up the switch?

• HU-670126478
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I'll have to remove the clutch idler assembly tomorrow and see. And yes, I did ensure that the key on the new clutch assembly fit into the slot in the shaft.