Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
procreator

Choosing between lawn tractors

procreator
12 years ago

I currently have a Sears 42" lawnmower. Has an electrical problem, but even when it runs doesn't cut all that well. I am looking to replace and am looking at used equipment. I cut about 1.5 acres.

Choices I am considering:

JD GT275, unknown hrs, 48" deck, $1400

Scag SWU with sulky, unknown age, 48", ~$900

JD GT245, 530 hrs, 54" deck, $2400

JD 425, 1145 hrs, 54" deck, $1700

Husq W4814 with sulky, 7 yrs old, residential owner, 48" deck, $1500

Opinions?

Thanks!

Comments (5)

• rustyj14
    12 years ago

If i had the money and your problems--before i'd invest a pile of cash in something with a lot of hours on it, and not knowing the care it had received, I would be sorely tempted to invest in a new machine! There are machines out there that will do the job. A used machine is a gamble! I'd feel much happier riding on a new one, rather than on an old one!

• earthworm
    12 years ago

This applys to a house or a car or a mower..
    DIY
    If not, buy new....But this too is costly.

• gator_rider2
    12 years ago

Here a tractor GT 3016 Ingersoll with Deck 16hp vanguard B&S engine choice of many GT join coltcaseingersoll Dot com. This tractor has less than 300 hours $1175.00 just brokein its cutting grass and running now no repairs needed. I link to tractor below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tractor

• exmar zone 7, SE Ohio
    12 years ago

Heartily agree with Rusty!! You mentioined mowing 1.5 acres, is it flat? What else do you do with the machine, pulling around a garden cart is understood and doesn't couont.

You're looking at half or more of the cost of a LT which would mow that acreage and have a warranty and be new. If you're not "handy" get a service agreement.

We're into July, were I you, I'd be wandering around the local TSC, Sears, Lowe's, etc. and see what they have sitting around which they're probably going to have to sit on till next spring. If your machine can last a couple more months, even better deals can be made in the fall.

I particuarly like TSC and Sears as AFTER you cut the best deal you can, THEN offer to take out one of their credit cards for an additional 10% off. Lowe's, etc. probably has similar offers.

Good Luck!

Ev

• User
    12 years ago

There are just as many people out there who take care of their machines (whether cars, trucks, or tractors) and maintain them repairing as necessary as there are hacks and shade tree mechanics always looking to fix things on the cheap or the quick and easy way.

Lots of times people aren't offered a decent trade-in at the dealer for their well cared for LT or GT and put them in the classifieds or Craigslist.

People with experience as techs or mechanics can easily spot a ringer and just as easily spot a good deal on used equipment.

Regarding your list...

JD GT275, unknown hrs, 48" deck, $1400
    Unknown hours a minus but what is the overall condition?

Scag SWU with sulky, unknown age, 48", ~$900
    No personal experience so I won't comment

JD GT245, 530 hrs, 54" deck, $2400
    A solid model with a good rep. EZ to get parts. 530 hours is not a lot and John Deere ain't goin' anywhere. There's not much you can buy for $2400 that is a ground engaging garden tractor with the resale of a JD.

More details on the GT245 click here

JD 425, 1145 hrs, 54" deck, $1700
    A big, HD garden tractor with hours and may need the plastic cam gear fix. Priced reasonable