Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hmonkey

Honda Lawn Tractor runs for 1 minute (???)

hmonkey
12 years ago

I have a Honda HA4120 (similar to HA4118 -- manual available here) Lawn Tractor, and I am stumped about a problem. It was running fine the past few times, except it died after about 5 minutes (for no reason), and then would restart after about 10 minutes. But this week, it would only start and run for 1 minute before dying. It made no difference how much load it had.

I took everything apart and found the a mouse had gnawed on the ignition wires (related to magneto). As I touched one wire (the one related to the cylinder on the non-discharge side), it broke. I repaired the wire. I inspected and taped the other wires.

Fuel pump seemed to be functioning, but to make certain, I bypassed it with a hand held manual fuel pump. I quit for the day.

Today, I went out and it would not start. It will start on ether, but not fuel. So, I suspect I need to clean out the carb now that I have messed with it. Perhaps my manual pump had a little spec of something in it.

But why would it run for one minute and die? Any ideas?

THANKS!!

Comments (2)

• justalurker
    12 years ago

Check the vent on the fuel tank. It may vent through a hose on the tank or a tiny hole in the fuel cap.

• rustyj14
    12 years ago

Yes, this is the time of year when the leetle buggs are looking for a tiny hole, to lay their egg in! This to prolong their time on earth so their offspring can have the problems you are having! So, they see the tiny breather hole in yer gas cap, and thats where they lay their egg! Then they cover the egg and hole with a bit of poo from their anus, and then they go away, and in the alotted time, the hatchling bores its way out into the sunlight, and flies away. And, the hole in yer gas cap is the perfect place for an egg to be secreted away! And, the preceding is just what gives the problem you are enjoying!
    I have seen old engines laying in a junk yard, and every hole has mud daubbed in and around it! Hence the name:"Mud Daubers!"

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA