Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wertach2

Changing oil every 50 hours?

I have a 1 year old Husky with a Briggs engine and it say's to change the oil every 50 hours. I just changed it for the 5th time @ 225 hours. I have a lot of grass and/or weeds to cut.

The oil is just as clean as the new oil I'm putting in! I always change the filter even though the manual say's every other oil change, but that is a habit I have. I don't want to leave any old oil in while I'm changing.

Every 50 hours seems excessive to me, but if you go by car standards, every 3,000 miles it works out about the same. 3,000 miles divided by 60 mph = 50 hours.

Maybe I should go with a synthetic oil and extend the time before changes? It seems like I'm changing the oil every time I turn around.

I'm also thinking that the recommended intervals may be because most people only put about 50 hours a year on a mower and they want it changed after sitting all winter?

Comments (11)

• romore_gw
    11 years ago

You are putting an unusual amount of hours on that engine. Are you a commercial operator?
    Remember that the engine is working under severe conditions. Full throttle under load, hot weather and a dusty environment all play havoc on what by automotive standards is a crude unit. Don't skimp on maintenance.

• bill_kapaun
    11 years ago

You think you have to change it too frequently, but don't want to leave 4 oz. of old oil, so you pay for a new filter?

• KubotaMaster
    11 years ago

It seems to me that you should change the oil at the 1st 50 hrs and then every 200hrs therafter not necessarily change it. Either that or Briggs is making cheap engines these days. My beast of a mower is every 200 hrs (see pic below) and it dont necessarily need a change then. only if i have been running it at full throttle which i rarely do. and this schedule is true for all Kubota mowers gas and diesel alike.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kubota maintenence schedule

• bill_kapaun
    11 years ago

Are the Kubota's AIR COOLED?

• rcmoser
    11 years ago

Oil changes are for us that expect or equipment to last 10 to 20 years or beyond without oil related failure. Those of you that run your machines couple of years and get new ones are usually the ones that skimp on pre-ventive maintenance form pass experience that there not going to last so you buy new one before failure. Skimp on oil changes on air cooled engine and they will mostly go bang after all the symtoms like smoking, knocking and using oil from lack of maintenance after few years of use. I would skimp on anything else but not OIL Changes.!!

• mownie
    11 years ago

The key difference in the requirements of air cooled engine versus liquid cooled engine regarding oil useful life span is due to the normal operating temperatures in the 2 types of engines.
    Properly maintained liquid cooled engines will operate at temperatures ranging from about 180 F to 192 F, and that temperature will be almost uniformly constant at all points throughout the engine.
    Air cooled engines in contrast have a normal operating temperature that is quite hotter overall, varies a lot depending on ambient air temperature/engine loading, and.........have locally isolated "hot spots" that get much hotter than other places on the engine.
    Liquid cooled engines, by design, have few places where the oil actually comes into contact with extremely hot components (the underside surfaces of the piston for example).
    Air cooled engines expose their oil to ALL of the extremely hot components intentionally because in these engine, the oil is used not just for slickum, but as a coolant too.
    By virtue of the oil absorbing/collecting heat from the hottest spots..........and then losing some heat when the oil is distributed onto cooler components during its circulation, the average engine temperature is a little bit evened out............but never to the degree of a liquid cooled engine.
    Bottom line is this: The extreme conditions that assault the oil in an air cooled engine might be 4 times more severe than what it would face if used in a liquid cooled engine (based on a presumed arbitrary rate of heat degradation effect on the oil). So it would seem (to me) that air cooled engine oil would have a life span only 1/4 of that for a liquid cooled engine, hence the 4X more often oil change interval.

• twelvegauge
    11 years ago

In this case, water cooled vs air cooled = apples and oranges.

I say again, many lawn tractors that die a premature death were murdered.

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have a Murrey with a 12HP Briggs motor that I bought in the late 80's. It doesn't have an hour meter or filter. It is still kicking and doesn't use any oil.

I changed it twice a year. Mid summer and when I was through in the fall. I probably only put about 150 hours a year on it. That is why I'm thinking every 50 hours is excessive.

I still use it for mulching and sucking up leaves with my leaf vac. I guess they made better motors then? ;)

"You are putting an unusual amount of hours on that engine. Are you a commercial operator?"

Nope, I just have a lot of acreage to cut! About 4 acres in the front yards plenty more in the back yards and lots of obstacles. Two houses that sit way back from the road. I need to plow it under and plant corn!

I'll keep changing it at 50 hours, maybe skip the oil filter on every change, it will be a hard habit to break.

Thanks to all.

• bill_kapaun
    11 years ago

When you consider that the same filter can be used on a 4.7L Lexus, it should be adequate .5L engine.

• KubotaMaster
    11 years ago

I didnt think about that too many beers during that post its liquid cooled so i didnt think about that till now i guess liguid would keep the oil much cooler when running my fault.

• mownie
    11 years ago

Not a problem KM, have another sudsy. :^)

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner