Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hawkwatcher_gw

craftsman won't start

hawkwatcher
9 years ago

Hi, we have a craftsman lawn tractor model 944.606042.it was running great. Came back next day and nothing. We tried the wire from the starter wire to the battery post on the solneid and it cranks but doesn't turn over. So does that mean it is the ignition switch? Or some other safety switch? Any advice or suggestions would be great. Thanks

Comments (12)

• bill_kapaun
    9 years ago

Cranking & turning over are the same hing.
    Starting & running are what we hope happens.

Does the solenoid make a click when you turn the key to the start position?
    IF not-
    Check fuse.
    Make sure attachment is OFF and Clutch/Brake pedal is depressed. IF the fuse is good, "jiggle" the attachment lever/brake pedal.
    Make sure SMALL wire (white) to the solenoid is connected.

I don't have an electrical schematic for that, but your crank circuit is as follows- (all white wire)
    The S terminal on the key switch receives 12V in the START position.
    It then goes through the clutch/brake switch and then through the attachment switch to the solenoid.

• hawkwatcher
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh well I guess it won't start but it turns over if we do the wire thing. Where is the fuse in our book it says it is connected to the red wire which is suppose to be a car fuse. But the only one I can find is one attached to the white wire. For some reason it isn't there and it is a weird looking holder that regular fuses don't fit.

• bill_kapaun
    9 years ago

As per page 23 of the OM.
    20 AMP located behind the dash.

• hawkwatcher
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well I must be blind because we only can find the one attached to the white wire.

• mownie
    9 years ago

Can you post a photo of the "fuse" you find on the White wire?
    Have you owned this tractor since it was new?

• hawkwatcher
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We bought it new about 6-7 years ago. On the red wire there is just a connector.

• mownie
    9 years ago

A single White wire? Nothing but a single wire? That does not appear to be a fuse nor a fuse holder in the photo. In the photo that looks like 1/2 of a wire connector union (the other 1/2 would be on the connecting wire/circuit, or some device that the white wire is supposed to be connected to). If this is simply 1/2 of a connector pair, and nothing was plugged together here, this is most likely an unused circuit from the factory. There is no such thing as a single wire circuit (fused or not) that simply ends in empty space. A circuit must have an origin and a destination.
    If my assessment of your photo is correct, keep looking for the fuse.
    Perhaps you can get a view of the metal terminal INSIDE the plastic insulator, looking directly into the end of that body, that would help in identifying what you have found. Then we can move forward.

• hawkwatcher
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We thought it looks like an used circuit too but it is the only one we can find. I'm sure the other one is sitting right in front of our face but I can't see it. On the red wire there is just a connector that we pulled apart, cleaned the dust out and put it back together.

• bill_kapaun
    9 years ago

It should be located in the small RED wire going from the Solenoid + to the key switch.

• hawkwatcher
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I just see the black connector.

• hawkwatcher
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well we found the fuse it was in a little holder under the solneid strap to the side wall. The fuse isn't blown but it is all rusted up in there and one of the fuse teeth broke off so once we get it dug out, hopefully it works. Or the mower may find itself thrown in the bush. Haha

• hawkwatcher
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It started!! I guess the tractor will stay out of the bush for awhile. Thanks guys for your help.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?