Return to the Tractors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help! Craftsman Lawn Tractor Stalls

Posted by gtr19 GA (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 22, 10 at 18:02

I just found out my father is having problems with his Craftsman riding mower. It starts fine, but will only run for approximately 20 minutes. Then it starts to run rough and eventually stalls. He can not get it to restart until he lets it cool down. Then it will restart, but the scenario starts over again. The tractor is about five years old and has not had any problems until now. Not sure about specifics such as model and engine yet, but I thought I'd start picking everyones brains.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help! Craftsman Lawn Tractor Stalls

That is the same thing that happened to me today with a Sears riding mower, not a tractor. It is about 10 years old and has worked well but today it started to sputter and back fire and then died. It would start, go a little and die again. I hope you get an answer from someone who knows what they are doing because it will probably solve my problem as well

o

1) chk/clean gas cap vent with a small stiff wire.
2) pull engine shroud sheet metal - clean fins well.
3) if engine still shuts down, immediately chk for good spark at plug. Coil may be going bad when hot.
4) if no help, post back with latest details.

o

That's it - spark plug, at least in my case, and it may be all that is wrong with the original poster's machine. I cleaned the gas cap vent but it keep shutting down. I took out the plug and it was fouled. Replaced it and all is well. We by-pass the simple things and always think it is more complicated than it really is. Thanks rcbe for the tips.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tractors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here