Return to the Tractors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tractor charging system

Posted by LTLhawk nh (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 25, 14 at 18:22

Hello everyone,
Here is my problem. The charging system in not working on my craftsman tractor with 15.5 HP Kohler engine. I followed the procedure and disconnected the stator wires to test the stator and I got nothing so I replaced the stator. Same problem. What I found out was this: On my original diagnosis I did not remove the stator ground (green) wire when I did my measurements and now I have found that if I remove all the wires including the ground wire, I get all the right voltages. When I connect the stator ground wire back up and leave the yellow and black wires disconected, I no longer get voltage readings. I measured the plug connection that the stator ground wire connects to and it reads .6 ohms to the ground terminal of the battery. I am at a loss now and could use some guidance. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tractor charging system

How about posting the Sears 917.xxxxxx number so we can look at the proper schematic.

o

Sure thing.. it is 917.271011

Thanks

o

Here is schematic..

o

Check the diode on the alternator output, not the wire that powers the lights.

o

the stator is brand new and the diode is part of the assembly. I believe the rectifier diode is doing its job as I get 28VAC on one side of the diode and almost 14VDC on the other. Of course this is with the stator connector disconnected. As soon as I connect the ground connector I no longer have stator output..

This post was edited by LTLhawk on Fri, Jul 25, 14 at 20:15

o

Unplug the ignition switch and check that it is operating correctly..

o

I wonder if the stator brake might be involved???
Try disconnecting Operator Presence Relay #2 and see what happens.

Most the schematics with the stator brake show that basically the stator is dead shorted with the key OFF. (no power between pins 85 & 86 of OPR2)

o

Is what you are calling the ground a GREEN wire?
That is the stator brake wire and is only grounded with the key OFF.

To add a bit-
The Green wire probably goes to pin 87A of OPR2.
The default(OFF) position of the relay connects 87A to pin 30 which is ground.
Possibly the relay isn't being powered through the seat switch, has a bad connection or a bad relay.
A simple test is to simply unplug it.

You can download the Kohler Service Manual at the link below.
Page 68/148

Here is a link that might be useful: The Link

This post was edited by bill_kapaun on Fri, Jul 25, 14 at 22:51

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tractors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here