Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andrelaplume2

can someone explain how the brake on toro 1232xl works

andrelaplume2
11 years ago

I had an this issue two seasons ago. I do not recall getting any advise that allowed me to solve my issue. I essentially cleaned everything and one day the noticed the problem went away.

My dozen or so year old toro 12 32XL riding mower / tractor start and runs fine. Stopping when in a left turn is an issue....IT DOES NOT STOP! Straighten the wheels it stops. Turn in the opposite direction...it stops. It does not matter if the blade is engaged or what gear you are in.

Like I said, this was an issue two season ago. Isimply rode in the other direction until one day I noticed the problem was gone. Well now my son is old enough to do the lawn but I do not want him on the thing until I understand why this is happening and how to insure its fixed,

I really do not understand the mechanics of what makes the sucker stop. I press down on the pedal and its suppose to stop. It does...except when the wheels are turned left!

Ideas....

Comments (4)

• rcbe
    11 years ago

get an experienced person to check out the linkage for the involved systems up underneath the machine. When you cut left, something is interfering with your transport/braking functions.

• andrelaplume2
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I ma have to do that...it looks pretty simple underthere...figured maybe there wer a few simple things to check for first...

• mownie
    11 years ago

The explanation is that the brake pucks may not be gripping the disc with enough force to AFFECT a stop under all conditions.
    Because the brake disc is splined onto the transaxle brake shaft, ALL braking effort must be transmitted to the tires by routing through the differential gearing.
    Because there is a relatively significant amount of torque transfer involved in brake systems that utilize a single brake unit to achieve braking at both rear wheels via the transaxle gearing............the braking effort at each wheel will be affected by the differential gear actions at a given point in operation.
    Translation of that means that when the tractor is in a straight line stop, braking effort at each tire will be about equal. Braking effort at each wheel during turns will be affected because the differential gearing will be operating at those times and that will have a net effect of changing the actual brake power as if it had been increased........or decreased by running it through a gear train that either speeds up the output.....or slows down the output, depending on which way the gearing goes (numerically speaking).
    But, the brake system must have been designed with this effect in mind and would have been made robust enough to compensate for the reduction and still have the capability to provide satisfactory stopping power.
    Therefore I think your brake pucks and disc are simply not as powerful as they should be. Perhaps it's time to take the brake apart for a real good clean and lube, and maybe new brake puck.

• andrelaplume2
    Original Author
    11 years ago

ok, just weird that this happened a few season back and apparently corrected itself...not its back...I'll look under there, make suret here are no debris, lube things and if its still an issue get her serviced. Thanks!

Sponsored
Columbus Premier Design-Build and General Contractor