Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ken3983

Snapper mower sagging

ken3983
10 years ago

I have a Snapper 30087BE. It seems like its sagging in the middle. I can push down on the rear of the mower, the middle of the mower raises up. The frame/tube was all the way back so I adjusted the frame forward a little to see if it would help. No dice. It sags so much I can't engage the blade as the handle hits the body of the mower. I noticed it when I would apply the brake, the steering wheel would tilt forward a little. Everytime. Is this normal? I can slide the frame back all the way like it was to be safe. The bushing doesn't look cracked or anything. Help. I need this fixed before I mow again. Thank you.

This post was edited by ken3983 on Thu, Jul 25, 13 at 21:14

Comments (12)

• walt2002
    10 years ago

Plastic, nylon, tube frame bushings are worn out, there are two of them, you will find them where the play is.

Walt Conner

• ken3983
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Is there anyway I can find a service manual to take this mower apart to put in the bushings? The regular manual doesn't cover this

• walt2002
    10 years ago

I have no idea but there isn't much to a Snapper RER. Loosen and spread the clamp that goes around the pipe frame under the seat, disconnect the cables, wiring belt and pull the two parts apart. Reverse procedure after installing bushings.

Walt Conner

• ken3983
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I got the bushings on order. Gives me time to look at what all I need to do to get this mower separated. I have loosen up the tube clamp before. Are these mowers normally hard to pull apart? I remember that it was nearly impossible to move the tube even a half inch without pulling a muscle. Or am I going about it all the wrong way?

• mownie
    10 years ago

Be sure to record the placement of the clutch cable adjustment ferrules at the clutch pedal. Count how many are ahead of the pedal and how many are behind the pedal. Placement of these ferrules is how the clutch cable is adjusted.
    I always suggest that folks use a digital camera and shoot a bunch of photos of everything from different angles so you can refer to them later if memory does not recall how things were before work began.
    A tip about pulling the 2 halves of the frame apart:
    If you can tie the rear of the mower frame off to a stationary object with a light duty rope, that will leave the front end for you to pull apart.
    Because the frame tubes fit fairly close together, gravity tends to make them grip each other and fight against being pulled apart (and being put back together too).
    To deal with this you must also try to apply your pulling efforts with a bit of LIFTING effort so that there is some UPWARD movement of the tubes where they join. You will probably find that it is easier to just work the tubes up and down by pulling on the handle bars (or steering wheel, as the case may be) at the center with one hand while you pull on a lower section of the steering column with the other hand.
    Alternate the effort of the hand on the handle bars while trying to keep a steady pull forward with the hand on the lower section. The up & down rocking motion allows the tubes to move apart instead of binding together by friction/gravity.
    Going back together, you use the same sort of technique, but the lower hand (or a knee) will be PUSHING back while the upper hand again provides an up & down movement of the tubes.
    Having a helper to assist in this is welcome but you can manage as a lonesome worker.
    Blocking up the rear half so it is positioned about level will ease the job of refitting the 2 halves.

• ken3983
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the advice. I have a good idea of how to get them apart now. I guess I need to take the blade belt off along with the throttle cable and Im sure the ignition wiring as well. Anything that is going to keep the two halves from separating.

• rcbe
    10 years ago

yeah, again before pixs or at least something to know what goes where when putting back together....

• andyma_gw
    10 years ago

I would use a marker or a heavy pencil to make some reference marks for re-assembly. Good luck with the job.

• wheely_boy
    10 years ago

How about some v1agra in the fuel tank?

Sorry I couldn't help myself.

• ken3983
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The bushings are to be here tomorrow. Question...how can I tell if these bushings are installed correctly. I want to make sure that the ones on there now didnt just walk. Anyone have a pic of how they are suppose to look when installed correctly?

• mownie
    10 years ago

When you get them you will see that they are very fool resistant.
    They have tabs (flange tabs) that prevent them from being "over driven". Pry the old ones out using a heavy screwdriver. Then you just press (push or tap) the new ones in and you are done.

• ken3983
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok...question. The clamp underneath. Does it go between the bushings or does it couple them together? Or do the bushings have to touch each other? This is the sag Im getting.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting