Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dave4242

John Deere LX 266 still acting weird after traction drive belt re

dave4242 zone 5
15 years ago

I have an LX266 lawn tractor (about 5 yrs old) with hydraulic transmission. A few weeks ago, it was acting like traction drive belt was slipping. I bought a new belt and replaced as per instructions in shop manual. There is no adjustment. Instead there is a pulley tensioning assembly that is attached to a spring and provides tension on the belt.

Today, when I used the tractor for the first time, the same thing happened. It runs great for about an hour. Then, I started noticing if I am going forward at full speed and let my foot off the gas, it seems like the belt slips until something "catches up" then the tractor starts to jerkily move again. In reverse, it is even worse. I checked all the pulleys when i took the old belt off and everything looked fine. I can't imagine the heavy tensioning spring is worn out.

I looked at the hydraulic oil with the tractor cold, and it is right in the middle between full and add lines. Could this be the issue? I would think the oil would expand when the trctor heated up, but could this possibly be it? Thanks

Comments (5)