Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tomplum

Stabil observation

tomplum
12 years ago

In 2004 or 2005, I prepped a rider mower for extended storage using the red Stabil. My normal MO as it pertains to the fuel system would have been to treat/ run/ drain completely. To my surprise, I didn't drain the fuel system. Thinking I would give the bowl a quick clean to take care of condensation before firing it up -discovered pumpkin orange fuel in the tank and carb. (maybe I should have tried the Startron test to see if it would rejuvenate the fuel!) The carb was in great shape. No corrosion, build up- not a thing after that many years. Guess it really works. I changed out the line, filter, bowl seal and float valve as a precaution The rider was kept in a sealed freight container at the farm and it doesn't have ventilation set up. I let my generator sit on purpose since last winter with only Startron treated fuel. We'll fire it up this fall and see if the new witches brew will keep the fuel runable.

Comments (21)

• baymee
    12 years ago

Fuel that old was probably pure gasoline. You should have tried to start it. It might have kicked.

Let's see how the Startron test goes.

• ewalk
    12 years ago

Startron Works at least in my Honda Gen Set . I left fuel in it a Hunting Camp . My Son was to bring it in and forgot prior to the Big Snow. I put an ounce in the fuel this spring and let it sit for a day after a quick shake . Started right up after a few pull and ran the tank empty . I changed the fuel filter and it appeared fine . I also have put Star*tron in my Snow Blower . Will see how the Snow-King Starts this Fall.

Note: I usually follow your seasonal shutdown regiment Tom , but wish to further test the new product from Walmart, it has worked wonders with my Diesel F-250 which had sat for 6 mths almost between seasonal usage .

• tomplum
    Original Author
    12 years ago

We've had 10% for a long time here. By the color, my guess is it wouldn't run up- I guess I could have experimented. The viton tip looked good, was free from the seat. Not treated fuel seems to be raising more heck with them and the viton seats when they sit. What's the Walmart potion Ewalk?

• ewalk
    12 years ago

Sorry Tom , Star*tron either Gas or Diesel fuel treatment is available locally within Michigan . I tried our Ontario Canada Walmart and they had not heard of it . Local Napa Stores also stock it in Michigan , but again it seems not to be available within Northern Ontario as of yet . No biggy I have less than a 4 hr drive to obtain it across the Border . I imaginw within a few yrs that Ethanol will make it to the pumps up North here also , best to be prepared ! I would like to Thank RDaystrom for his gracious suggestion to try Star*tron out it has paid benefits Thanks Dude much appreciated !

• tomplum
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I don't know if you get Stens parts where you are at Ewalk, but that is where mine comes from. The larger sizes are a much better deal too.

• rdaystrom
    12 years ago

You're welcome ewalk.

• ewalk
    12 years ago

Tom: your absolutely right on the Bulk Pricing , have heard of Stens have not used them. Will keep them in mind .

RD: Never to Old to learn more ..thanks again for the Heads up on a Valuable Product !

• gator_rider2
    12 years ago

I bought mind NAPA store 8 oz. bottle 14.00 for gas same for Diesel. Treats 256 gallons fuel now need mg cup to measure it out.

• ewalk
    12 years ago

Interesting ? I only paid 8 bucks for the Gas version at Walmart and about what you have indicated for the Diesel Product at Napa both in Michigan Gator . Pricing apparently varies from State to State. The economy side of the Product to me was the number of Gallons it will effectively treat which is superior to the previous products that I have utilized .

• twelvegauge
    12 years ago

Are you guys saying that StarTron ia equal to or better than Marine StaBil, and less expensive?

• tomplum
    Original Author
    12 years ago

For me- time will tell twelvegauge. I've used the marine stabil the last couple years and had fine results. I was elated with the red working for 5 years+. This year, I purposely haven't run up the generator so I could test the result this fall. It is supposed to make old fuel runable again or change water into wine or something like that...When you look at the flyer for Startron- it shows 8 oz bottles- 1 oz for 6 gallons, on the larger 1 oz to 16 gallons. On the 16 oz bottle it shows 1 oz to 8 gallons initially and 1oz to 16 after. Confused yet?

• ewalk
    12 years ago

Twelveguage: I have not used it for long term storage as of yet . Only for preventative measure on the Gas Gen Set and Diesel out of necessity . I have put some in my Snow Blower for storage time will tell as Tom has advised. I have used all the Stabil Product line and Lucas Top End Cleaner / lubricant . Both served me well just trying to reduce product numbers. The Startron had much better advertized consumption numbers. I did see a difference with the Diesel vs the Gas within Gallons an ounce would treat . However the dosage I believe is the same with either 8 oz or the larger bulk container for gas Tom ? Don't see why the container size would change the dosage recommendation only the amount that could be treated ?

• User
    12 years ago

"Don't see why the container size would change the dosage recommendation only the amount that could be treated "

Might be different concentrations in different size containers?

• tomplum
    Original Author
    12 years ago

So you guys had my curiosity peaked. I went and looked at the 8 oz customer stuff- and it says 1 oz to 3 gallons initially then 1oz to 6 gallons. My 16 was as on the above post on the label. I haven't bought a quart, but should we assume that it is the same as the 16 oz.... I don't know how many people end up retreating their fuel. Seems like a strange way of marketing to me.

• ewalk
    12 years ago

Facts: Went to my Garage Cabinet and pulled off the attached booklets for both Diesel and Gas 8 Oz bottles .
    Diesel : 8 oz will treat 256 Gallons (US)
    Gasoline: 8 oz will treat 128 Gallons (US)

* Their info site basically says 1oz treats 3 Gallons of Gasoline. However JL may have something since they do show a Small Engine Formula just out which indicates a different concentration in Micro-Bottles . Marketing sure likes to complicate matters . Check out their home page by goggling Startron Fuel Additive , I most likely will be buying another 8 oz bottle for my Heating Oil (200 Gal.) Tank this Fall .

• baymee
    12 years ago

As I see it, the initial dose is for cleaning the old system and the smaller dose is for maintenance of the cleaned system.

• ewalk
    12 years ago

Yeah , baymee there is further instructions for various concentration levels for system clean up and then normal maintenance dosage . I see further they have Bulk Tank Concentrated Forumula also , I would assume for stubborn cases or as a form of precleaner for larger storage systems.

Note: I just had a buddy call me and tell me that our local Canadian Tire Store has just recieved a shipment.I had tuned his saw and showed him the product when he came to pick it up this spring . For the US forum members these are a Box Store much like Walmart hear in the North . Will make my purchasing much simpler lol.I will let you know the pricing difference per container vs the US pricing should be interesting .

• twelvegauge
    12 years ago

Well, I'm confused. Until I hear a little more, I'm gonna stick with the marine StaBil and Lucas. The StaBil lists two concentrations, one for long-term storage (and quick carb cleanup) and the other for routine, but that's pretty clear. Even if the StarTron is cheaper, I'll wait for it to prove itself.

I hope that you guys who are testing it will report back after awhile. Thanks, All.

• ewalk
    12 years ago

Nothing wrong with Stabil Dude ! To each their own I always say . I used Lucas for numerous yrs without any concerns. I just gave Star*tron a try when RD advised of its potential merits . I will be sure to let their forum members know how the fuel stabilzation trial goes (2 yrs) is their boast . Star*tron at this point works for me !

• gator_rider2
    12 years ago

Old fuel a bit higher dose new fuel lower dose as I read Literature. I got 75,000 miles on 2005 3500 Dodge up until 4 days ago never had any additive in fuel I think help on injectors got more pep like was new.

• tomplum
    Original Author
    12 years ago

"Read Literature" What's that? My 8 oz bottles say 48 gallons on them.... A look at the startron site shows 2 different 8 oz bottles for gasoline. Hmmmm The plot thins!

Sponsored