Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jamesbeam_gw

Craftsman LT4000 12.5HP B&S No Compression?

JamesBeam
11 years ago

I have a Craftsman LT4000 with a 12.5 HP B&S Engine that I got from a friend

who was moving. I ran it for six months that then the next day it would not start. It had seemed like it was in good shape...

I took it to the local mower repair shop and they said it was toast; that it had

no compression, probably from dirty oil of a bad valve. I don't exactly trust

the guy, he says he gets $40 to 'touch' a mower and he joked that help getting it

loaded was 'extra'!!! He just rubs me the wrong way....

I can get a compression tester, and check it out... What else can I do? With

a little help from you guys, I might be able to take it apart and fix it. Is there

any Marvel Mystery Oil that will increase it's compression? :-)

I actually have another older LT4000 that has the same engine etc. It's in

bad shape, the hood's broken off, I need to start it with jumper cables, etc.

I don't know how good the motor on that is, but I was thinking about

swapping the motor to the other mower; how hard would that be? I have

changed the oil on that recently...

I also have a Craftsman II with a 14.5 HP Kohler. It is also a 6 Speed 42"

mower (no deck yet, though) It seems like the same beast, but it has slightly

bigger tires 10 x 20 x 8. I have it on loan from another friend. I'm wondering

if my other mower deck will fit on it.

I guess I'll take up collecting Craftsman mowers!!! I've been pretty impressed

with them. I use them hard mowing my 6 acre orchard and farm etc.

What's a good place to get tire chains?

Thanks for your help! Jim.

Comments (16)

• romore_gw
    11 years ago

Give the flywheel a quick flip backwards by hand, if it stops and bounces back compression is fine. Unless the connecting rod broke and wrecked the block it is likely salvageable.

• tomplum
    11 years ago

WHich engine would be helpful. Remove the spark plug and feel w/ a screwdriver, pencil etc if the piston is traveling as the engine is rotated by hand. Valve seats can come out of place - holding a valve open. Model and type #s off the engine will at least get us looking at the same engine. Changing from one engine to the next requires moderate skill if they are exactly the same. Different engines takes a greater skill to adapt them.

• JamesBeam
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here's the Engine numbers:

B&S Model 286707 Type 0437 01 Code 920060411 I/C Gold

It looks like the Engine in this Ebay ad.

The engine turns over fine and tries to start, but doesn't. It rotates normally
    with the same resistance you expect for the compression cycle.

Thanks for your help!

Jim

Here is a link that might be useful: 12.5 HP B&S Engine

• rustyj14
    11 years ago

James: From your questions, and self made answers, i really think you should just go out and buy a new machine, and forget about trying to fix the old one! It is quite obvious that you are not well educated in the care, operation, or repair of small engines. It will save time, money and countless questions about how to make your present machine run and operate.
    Then, if and when you get the new machine--spend a couple evenings reading the instruction booklets, on the care and feeding of the new machine, and stick to those instructions as much as possible.
    But, if you "run it hard, and put it away wet" as it seems your present machinery has been treated, you will eventually ruin it, too.
    Also--mowing 6 acres with a light weight lawn tractor is sure to hasten its demise! You need a larger machine for that kind of mowing. Its like sending a kid out to do a man's job! JMHO: Rusty Jones

• bill_kapaun
    11 years ago

The title of your post says NO COMPRESSION and then you say-

It rotates normally with the same resistance you expect for the compression cycle.

You really have to make up your mind!

There's 1000's of Briggs that "look like" your engine.
    As tomplum said-
    "Changing from one engine to the next requires moderate skill if they are exactly the same. Different engines takes a greater skill to adapt them."

• JamesBeam
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Dear Rusty: "James: From your questions, and self made answers, i really think you should just go out and buy a new machine, and forget about trying to fix the old one! It is quite obvious that you are not well educated in the care, operation, or repair of small engines. It will save time, money and countless questions about how to make your present machine run and operate. "

Well, I beg to differ with you. #1: I run a farm. I can't afford to spend $2,000, $5,000 or $10,000 on a big shiny new mower. I generally buy old
    mowers from homeowners that have something wrong with them, fix them up
    and keep using them and fixing them as needed, untill they won't go any
    more. I'm aware that I ask a lot from them, but I don't do *too* badly; I
    generally get 2-3 years out of an old mower that I bought for a couple
    hundred bucks.

I've never opened up a small engine to do repairs, but I've done everything
    else. I did some research, and read in these forums about how to reset valve
    seat etc. I thought maybe someone here could give me a few pointers, and
    I'd give it a shot. Maybe I was wrong, but I'm not afraid to try!

Dear Bill: "The title of your post says NO COMPRESSION and then you say
    It rotates normally with the same resistance you expect for the compression
    cycle. You really have to make up your mind!"

I was responding to ROMORE who suggested that the connecting rod might
    be snapped; in which case there would literally be no compression

As I mentioned before...

This particular mower I got from a friend who was moving. It died shortly
    after I started using it. A local 'mower repair' guy said it had no compression;
    I didn't particularly trust his opinion, and I hoped to be able to repair it.

I just tested it with a compression guage, and it reads 30 lbs compression,
    not very much is it? The mower makes a kind of wheezing sound when you
    try to start it...

Bill: "There's 1000's of Briggs that "look like" your engine. As tomplum said-
    "Changing from one engine to the next requires moderate skill if they are
    exactly the same. Different engines takes a greater skill to adapt them.""

Did you miss the engine numbers I included in that post? Some asked for the
    engine numbers, so I provided them.

Again, I was talking about swapping two seemingly identical engines from two
    seemingly identical Craftsman LT4000 riding mowers. I was hoping for a
    little more information...

Thanks for your time, Jim.

• mownie
    11 years ago

JamesBeam, I encourage you to go on and pull the head off the engine to see what the damage is.
    If a valve seat has loosened or the exhaust valve burned, there is hope for repairing the engine......unless you are just set on replacing it as an assembly.
    Don't get too riled at the curmudgeonly comments. It is after all a free forum with free speech.
    As you surely have learned by now some folks are terse or curt in life but not necessarily "mean people".
    Endure the remarks and glean the info. This is forum is like a "bull session" sometimes. Sharp remarks are often part of making sure everybody pays attention and knows what the down sides might be.
    We are not all preaching from the same book here, so expect an individual "flair" to accompany comments.

• bill_kapaun
    11 years ago

I was responding to YOUR statement-
    "It looks like the Engine in this Ebay ad."

Don't worry, there will be no more confusion from me.

• rustyj14
    11 years ago

I learned, early on in life--if ya walk around with a chip on yer shoulder--somebody is sure to knock it off!
    So, i'm going to follow old Bill, and skip out! Rustyj

• JamesBeam
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Is pulling th head off as simple as unscrewing the head bolts?

The Repair manual I found seemed to imply that parts of the valve train might
    jump out at me, and be hard to put back together...

What should I be looking for when pull the head? How will I know if the problem is with the valves or the rings?

Opinions? I'll try to include the URL to the manual...

Here is a link that might be useful: B & S 12.5 HP Repair Manual

• grass1950
    11 years ago

JamesBeam,
    I admire your willingness to learn and understand your interest in avoiding cost. But I don't see where this is going. Some things can be explained by correspondence, but other things can only be taught in person. I mean no offense to you, but have you ever rebuilt an engine of any kind? If not it's going to be very difficult for you to understand advice given to you by written correspondence. Once you get the head off do you have access to a torque wrench to put the head back on? Once you get the head off and discover it is a bad valve seat, do you have the tools to compress the valve spring so you can have a new seat pressed in? If the valves are not the problem and it is the rings, do you have the tools needed to compress the new rings so that you can get the piston back in? If you don't you are not going to be able to repair the engine.
    BUT this is an oportunity to disassemble an engine that is worthless to you and learn how it is put together and what parts are involved--learn by doing. Figure out how to remove a valve and figure out what is involved in putting it back in and the next time you'll have some hands on experience. What is there to lose and there is knowledge to be had.
    If you have an identicle model engine that is running you could certainly try to swap engines. You'll need to trace all wires and mark them so you know what to hook up to what. If the mounting holes do not line up or they have different shaft lengths you've got problems (but then they wouldn't be identical would they?) and you are going to need to know what a keeper key is and how to remove and instal one so you can remove and replace the pulley--but that will be easier than a rebuild.

• grass1950
    11 years ago

To answer your question: Detatch the intake and the exhaust manifolds from the head.Remove the valve cover(s). Remove the rocker arms. Remove the push rods. Remove the head bolts. Remove the head.

• walt2002
    11 years ago

"To answer your question: Detatch the intake and the exhaust manifolds from the head.Remove the valve cover(s). Remove the rocker arms. Remove the push rods. Remove the head bolts. Remove the head"

You may want to rethink that.

"Is pulling th head off as simple as unscrewing the head bolts?"

Yes, remove the cooling shroud then head bolts. Look for a valve seat out of its' recess holding the valve open.

Walt Conner

• baymee
    11 years ago

If it has NO compression, follow the above advice. If it has normal compression and attempts to start, check the flywheel key.

• baymee
    11 years ago

If you can find TDC on the compression stroke, turn the flywheel so the piston moves another 1/4" downward. Lock the flywheel at that point. Use a socket or other strong device. Apply 20# of air to the spark plug hole. If you hear alot of air escaping, you'll know if it's thru the exhaust or intake. Careful. If the flywheel isn't secure, it can turn suddenly without warning and injure you.

If you hear no major loss of air and the flywheel wants to forcefully turn, your valves are probably OK. Check the flywheel key.

With the proper leak down equipment, you can go up to 60+ pounds to do this test. If you don't do it properly, you can be seriously hurt or killed by flying objects.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio