Return to the Tractors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
yardman upgrade trouble HELP!!!

Posted by hobbyfarmergrower (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 22, 10 at 19:53

ive recentely got a job and earned myself some spending money, i originally thought that i could get 2 rear tires for my yardman and drill holes in the rims on both, and bold them together, would a 1992 12 hp yardman rear end handle that type of traction?? also i found a muffler for a farmall cub same size inlet but im wondering if it would cause too much back pressure on the engine?? if so is that bad???

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: yardman upgrade trouble HELP!!!

If your tractor has the regular type of transmission, not a "hydro-static", yes, it probably will, if used carefully. If you intend to try breaking of hard ground, or plowing dirt, your Yardman isn't exactly suited for that work. Although, you can try it, but do not be surprised if it suddenly decides to fail, even with the geared transmission.
As for the muffler, i'd say buy the type for the engine!
That way you won't have to worry about back pressure, etc. Mufflers are not expensive, and are designed for correct back pressure, and exhausting of engine combustion (exhaust) pressures.

o

yeahy shes just a regular foreward neutral reverse transaxle, if she does fail can i just get another one (same fitting same pulley and type but stronger and more well suited?

o

If you need to go to duals to get enough bite, you're going to tear out the rear axle. Yardman tractors like your are made by MTD and have Transmatic belt type CVT transmissions and use a Peerless 910 differental/rear axle. The Peerless is probably the weakest link in the whole drive train. The Transmatic with its belts will slip before it breaks. Replacement new is about $300+ and there is no "heavier duty" version available.

Yours is a lawn tractor and is specifically NOT recommended for ground engaging equipment. If you put duals on it, expect trouble.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tractors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here