Return to the Tractors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
starting problems

Posted by chrissymustang (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 29, 10 at 19:59

ok, this problem has been going on for a while and is getting old. I have a craftsman 18.5 hp, 917.274641, thats about 7yrs old. I just replaced the battery. The tractor is hard to start, even with a new battery, even with the battery charger hooked up. The engine doesn't want to spin. Its like there isn't enough cca or there is too much tension to turn the engine. Each time I need to start, I have to hook the charger up and its stills takes several attempts to spin it. It makes a little hum, and might turn once or twice, then hums again. If I let the charger sit for a while, I can usually get it started. I just replaced the battery, even though the shop said the old battery was still good. Do I need a new starter? is napa selling me the wrong battery? Its listed as 275 cca. ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: starting problems

Briggs 31P777 in that tractor - may need valve adj. ....Perhaps Walt or Mownie will help out - I don't know details of that procedure.

o
RE: starting problems( with wonderment)

Yes, the valves out of adjustment can cause the problem.
And, if you are wondering about my addition to the heading, it is to avoid getting S-canned for answering under the original question!

o

So maybe there is an abnormal amount of compression due to valves out of adjustment, making it difficult for the starter to crank it?

o

That is correct, unless the valve adjustment is precisely where it should be, the compression release action does not work well enough for the puny starter to push past the compression stroke.
e-mail me for my version of the correct way to set the engine to the correct place for the valve adjustment.

o

Chrissy: Also Extreme Carbon build up within the combustion Chamber and Piston can cause higher compression than usual . Has you engine been Consuming Oil more recently or smoking during start up . A check of the Spark Plug and Piston Dome will give you evidence of excessive Black Carbon . Just a additional thought , since this could cause slow turn over during starter usage .

o

I do see smoke on start up, I'll check the plug--thanks

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tractors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here