Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rustyj14

Older Tecumseh, ten h.p. engine.

rustyj14
12 years ago

I have the Tecumseh engine in an old Bolens 1400 Eliminator tractor. It is the OHV engine, near as i can figure. It has no spark. None. Can i use one of those little electronic spark kits to get it to run. Some say yes, some say no. Please advise. I'm tired of harboring it! Engine cranks, just won't start. Help!

Oh, yes, i priced an electronic ignition kit for it, at big bucks. One mistake and i eat it! Rusty J.

note: If no can do, i'll sell it cheap! Might even donate it!

Comments (5)

• baymee
    12 years ago

I just got an old Craftsman rider with a 12HP Tecumseh OHV engine. I got it running, but oil just comes right out of the breather. When I saw that, I decided to scrap it.

I wonder if any of the parts are worthwhile saving from the motor that a restorer could use?? It has points.

I used those electronic ignitions on old motors with good success.

• rustyj14
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Today, a young friend of mine stopped in and asked about the Bolens. I told him, if he could get it into his truck, he could have it, hornets and all.
    He's a big husky guy, so he got it into his truck, using my ramps, chained it down, tossed in the deck and all of the parts, and left me a happy guy, and him, too!
    Monday giffs a trip to the scrap yard with a big load of scrap steel. And Tuesday a big load of clean aluminum scrap! Wednesday, the engine comes out of the $50 tractor i bought last year and gets transplanted into the tractor with the worn cam shaft. Busy, busy,busy! RJ

• rustyj14
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Went to the scrap yard with the aluminum stuff. new owners! First, they told me that the little corner reinforcements in the screen frames were zinc, not aluminum! but they'd take them any way, just cut the money they'd give. then they said the old aluminum cast engines, couldn't be counted, because they were all still together--they'd take them anyway-no need to haul them back home! I did that. They used to be counted as irony aluminum. Ain't! Well, i hope they make money to cover their investment, but next time, i'll go down the street, or across the river!

• mownie
    12 years ago

rustyj, you have just dealt with how the recyclers exploit the sellers of "scrap metal".
    By placing "certain limitations" and restrictions on what rate they will pay for types of scrap, they improve their profit by paying less to the seller.

• rustyj14
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Mownie: I am not a "Babe in the woods" when dealing with scrap yards! The former owners were very honest folks to deal with, but this new bunch are very sneaky! They have a bunch of young kids working in the non-ferrous metals building, and i think they were well-trained in the game of cheating us scrap haulers! But, they aren't the only game in town! As they will probably learn, in time.
    But, the next time i take in old, junk, lawn mower engines and such, the heads and other removable alum parts will be removed! They must of thought i just fell off the river boat yesterday!

Sponsored
J.E.S. Home Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Full-Scale Construction Firm