Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rayofluck

Southern States Statesman

rayofluck
13 years ago

Hello all. My name is Ray and Ive recently found myself with 1 acre of grass and 2 acres of turf to maintain. Up until now I have been fortunate to have a neighbor help but this has changed. I tried cutting the property with a self propelled walk behind troy-built that has a bad belt and must be pushed (ugh). I did finish but barely escaped the stroke that felt imminent. I need some help. Ive have a southern states statesman 12 hp 36" deck that has been sitting in my shed since I purchased the property 5 years ago. I do not know how long the machine has been sitting idle but I now find myself in the market for a lawn tractor and I thought it might be worth pulling out of the shed. I have no experience with riding mowers other than the web surfing I have done in the past week or so. Could someone please advise if I should bother with the mower? The reason I started down this path was the Simplicity dealer that I was talking with asked me if I had any equipment to trade. I mentioned the statesman and two low end push mowers and he agreed to drop the sales tax cost of the Regent I was looking at. (offer is $2895 total for a 24hp 50" Regent) This got me to thinking perhaps the statesman was worth a look, or perhaps the dealer is just trying to seal a deal. So, please what are your thoughts, should I attempt to solicit a restoration/repair? And in case I move forward with the purchase what do you think of the regent offer for $2895? Thank you very much for reading my situation.

Comments (5)

• virginiacowboy
    13 years ago

What do you need to do with the tractor besides mow? The Statesmen is a mower I believe to be MTD (I do not use this as a curse word as some might) that does not have a very large deck or horses for your acreage. Did you attempt to start it? Five years of gas inside. You could also put it on Craig's List to see what kind of money you can get for it towards the Simplicity.

• rcmoser
    13 years ago

IMO you would be better off buying new with warranty. Even if you get the stateman running how long would it hold up mowing 3 acres? If you get the new LT you need to set down and read the owners manual. Especially the part about maintenance and extreme conditions, If you don't want to maintain it yourself I sure the dealer will be happy to do the basic's for a fee of course. Let's face it your new found property will have a cost to maintan it. So you can do alittle and save alot or pay alot for a little. either way it will have to be done to maintain the LT for years of service.

• rcbe
    13 years ago

Ditto on RC's comments.

Something doesn't chk out on that Regent offer - unless that machine he's got is an earlier model year (used?), neither 24 HP nor 50" deck is currently offered. See link below for details.

Some old (but still good) advice:
    Repost of Slammer's Rules...

1. Carefully evaluate the size mower you need and buy at least one size larger.

2. NEVER buy a mower from ANYPLACE that will not let you test drive it or at least a similar model. Ergonomics are just as important as performance and capability.
    (Vitally important!)

3. DO NOT base your purchase on price or brand name alone! Do proper research and find all of the available models that fit your criteria and haggle, save, or trade to get the right equipment for the job. Do not compromise!

If you follow these three tips you will end up a happy camper with just the right unit for the job. If you disregard this advice your gonna end up with One or the other of the following problems:

A. Buyers remorse. Stuck with a piece of junk or simply a unit inadequate for the task at hand.

Or..

B. A teed off spouse when you start shopping for another tractor just 3 - 6 months down the road because you didn't buy the right unit in the first place.

Here is a link that might be useful: Regent

• rayofluck
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you for your comments. The unit does not run. When I have time this weekend I plan on trying some of the advice I've read on this site about getting an old mower running. I figure I can either use it or sell it for more if it is running. The regent dealer told me they no longer offer the 24/50, so it's my guess the unit has been sitting there for a while. I've had trouble finding information about the statesman, I've found some for sale but not many reviews or comments. From what I've read the deck is small for my property size, but I know little about the quality of the machine. One other question, would the roller on the regent be a problem if I am cutting an area that is more weeds and light brush than grass? With its deck sitting on the ground, would this be a problem?

• rcbe
    13 years ago

Hard to say what you will get into with reviving that statesman.. prolly a new battery, mebbe a carb cleanout along with a full fuel tank/line/filter cleanout/replace. If a variable speed drive (not hydro), belts/pulleys may be rusted up /deteriorated.OTOH, may just take a bit of fresh fuel and she'll come to life.
    From what you have added to yer description of that 2 acres of turf is of more concern. Yeah, the Simplicity "dragging" deck won't like tall weeds/brush much. If there's sandy soil there, will wear out your blades quick. If rocky/stumpy, will tear up blades/spindles/belts($$). If chuckholes/mounds, scalped spots/blade wear.
    I would at least farm out the mowing job for the rest of this year and see what sort of equipment gets used and how it does before committing to buying a new tractor or zero turn..

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH