Return to the Tractors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Briggs Vanguard 18HP Not Charging

Posted by doc_holliday NW Georgia (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 22, 10 at 20:19

Hey guys. Haven't been on here in a few years, but this place still looks top notch.

I Have a Briggs - Model 356777-0113-E1.
I am on a fresh battery that it is draining/will not hold its charge, so I am assuming electrical problem.
The only thing is, I don't know what is what on this engine (not a small engine guy) and I don't know where to start testing. I have read some other posts (like the Craftsman not charging a few threads down) on troubleshooting, but didn't find anything to this particular engine.

Please, forgive my ignorance. I have never dived into a small engine repair, so I am very much a rookie on this. I do have a test meter, and all the necessary tools to check stuff with.

I appreciate any help in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Briggs Vanguard 18HP Not Charging

doc, please post the model number of your tractor.
Hopefully, with that chassis model number we will be able to learn which alternator your Vanguard has. Then we can get to the details of testing.

o

It's a Simplicity Conquest - Mfg. #1694013.
Thank You.

o

Here's a pic I took that may help too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Engine Picture

o

Doc, the picture is perfect. Your Briggs has the 16 amp alternator.
The thread you cited in your opening post is precisely applicable to your engine and alternator.
I included a link to that thread below. Go to that thread and follow the same test outlined there.
If your testing determines the regulator/rectifier is defective, the Briggs part # for it is 691185.

Photobucket

Here is a link that might be useful: testing Brigg's 16 Amp alternator

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tractors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here