Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rustyj14

Lawn Chief Tractor/hydro. Model 545.

rustyj14
13 years ago

I have the Tractor here. It needs the main drive pulley that goes on top of the vertical splined shaft that gives power to the trans-axle. And, the plastic fan, too, along with a spring clip to hold it all on the shaft. The splines on the shaft are ok, but the matching splines in the pulley are all gone! The blades on the fan are worn off. The number on the drive belt is: 17125 Also: 754-0226

The drive pulley is a two piece type. The steel center part is what the splines are supposed to be in, but they are worn smooth.

Anybody know where to get the parts? The tractor is in good shape, and i don't want to part it out. The local place where i buy most of my parts for various machines, can't find anything about it in the computer programs.

The pulley is about 3.5 to 4 inches across, and the part with the missing splines bolts inside that pulley. Any help out there?

Comments (12)

• rcbe
    13 years ago

Rusty - if you can locate an ID plate/decal on the machine (often in the cavity under the tilting seat or attached somewhere on the main frame) and post back with with the mfgr's name, tractor model #.... might help us pin it down.

• rustyj14
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I didn't see much more than the info i gave out, but, i'll look some more. I didn't get any booklets with the machine.
    It came to me as a gift, and i gave it to my Cousin, who used it for 3 years, and then i got it back. In good condition, except for the pulley and fan.

• tomplum
    13 years ago

095370 pulley 115493 fan are the numbers I show for it. General Power eventially was eaten by MTD, but you may have better luck w/ Tuff Torq ...

• rustyj14
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Whoopee! I found another sticker, way up behind the seat back! Says: General Power Equipment. Service number: 237593. Model: 545N. Date code: 15A. Sequence No. 44CN or 44 ON. Auto shift. This might help. Tranny label sez: HYDROSTATIC.. Has the lever for pushing the machine.

• rustyj14
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well, cousin stopped in today with all the pages and info on what i need to buy for the tranny drive pulley! Tomplum is correct on the part numbers.
    now, how can i order the parts from Tuff-Torque. do i need to go thru a repair shop? Or can i just order the parts, and have them shipped C.O.D? I have friends with a regular repair/parts store, and i think they will order the parts for me, if i pay list price, which i am willing to do!Guess i'll go see tomorrow.
    thanks for the info!
    Rusty J.

• windcatcher
    13 years ago

Rusty:

Here's how to contact Tufftorq directly:

Tuff Torq Aftermarket Services
    6041 Hunter Road
    Talbott TN 37877
    PHONE: 866-572-3441

customerservice@tufftorq.com

I've bought directly from them, and I'm just an individual. Have credit card (good one) in hand.

Cheers!

• rustyj14
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well, i took all of the parts numbers in the parts book which my cousin brought to me, to the place that gets a lot of parts for me, for other machinery. Tuff Torque no longer supports any of the parts listed in the pages of the tractor booklets. Especially the parts i really need! RATS!! Found that info when the store got it up on the internet.
    So, now what to do? I have a 6 speed Craftsman type tranny, maybe i could trans-plant it into the tractor. Have a lot of measuring to do. Also, i know of several tractor junk yards where i might find a pulley and fan. Guess I'll be on my "horse" next week, looking around!
    Thanks to all who have helped. And, if you find some way to help me fix it right, I'll really appreciate it.

• rustyj14
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I have found a 5 inch dia. vee pulley in the Stens catalog, with the splined center. The shaft seems to be the correct size. The pulley for the tractor is 4 inches across, the one in the book is 5". I suppose i could use a longer belt, to fit the larger pulley. I'm going up-country this week, and will check with some folks i know who are doing lawn/garden tractor work. I might luck out!
    And, if it doesn't go well, i'll look for a lawn tractor with a bad engine, and transplant it.

• rustyj14
    Original Author
    13 years ago

So, after reading some other posts on my problem, with the idea of checking with the John Deere Dealer--i drove 45 miles up to
    Butler, Pa. to the JD Dealer there. There isn't a dealer closer than that, since they closed all of the in-town, or near town dealers, around the Pittsburgh, PA. area.
    I entered the place with some trepidation, expecting to get the "bum's rush", but instead, the friendly guy at the counter took great pains to fix me up!
    He and some other workers went out back to their used parts department, and found a splined pulley, some spacers, and two different plastic fans! The man put all of the parts in a large paper bag, shook my hand, and wished me luck with my endeavors! Everything was FREE!!
    So, i came home and set to work. Everything fit the splined input shaft. The pulley is a bit smaller than the original, but i think it will work. I had to grind a wee bit off the fan blades, so they didn't hit on a tranny part. I got it all back together, except for one bolt, but wife hollered for dinner, so i quit for the night. First chance i get to go back to it, I'll install the main drive belt, and try it.
    I have a Drs. appointment tomorrow, he says i have a heart murmur! I thought i've been hearing voices, but it must just be my heart talking! I'll probably get a bunch of pills to swallow now. Wonder how they go with beer!?
    Heck, my sister had a heart murmur all of her life, and died from something else!

• fishinlippy
    10 years ago

Does anyone have a manual or the parts manual for this model?

• tomplum
    10 years ago

Here you go fishinlippy

Here is a link that might be useful: Oscar Wilson Manuals

• rustyj14
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I forgot to inform you folks about the tractor with the pulley and fan problem. The parts i got from the JD dealer worked great. I sold the tractor to a local man, and he never cpmplained about any problems. RJ

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville