Return to the Tractors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
briggs and stratton engine

Posted by biggeehunter none (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 10, 11 at 20:33

My mtd model 13as699g788 engine briggs and stratton model 42a707 1838 a1 It all began with the engine loping up and then down up and then down up and then down. the only way that the engine would run right is to pull the choke out a little bit.

I was told it was a clogged carb jet it needed to be cleaned so I cleaned it. That did not work. So I was told to rebuid the carb so I did. that did not work. So I was told to buy a new carb that worked but now it races out of control. I did not touch any part of the governor what so ever. can some body tell me if maybe the loping was caused by the governor going out. the throttle control no longer changes the speed. if someone could email me how to find a answer to this question on this website.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: briggs and stratton engine

The idling up & down condition cleared up when you partially choked the engine. This indicates a lean fuel air mixture. If the original carburetor was equipped with an idle mixture adjustment, the most likely solution would have been to open the adjustment to allow more fuel flow.

After installing a new carburetor, things went downhill. i suspect you overlooked somthing or did not connect the throttle linkage correctly and did not adjust the governed idle. The idle set screw may need adjusting. I do not suspect an internal governor problem.

o
RE: briggs and stratton engine

My new carb is none adjustable. If I hold the govnernor arm with my finger clockwise, it runs great, a perfect idle. When I let go of it it races at max and the throttle does nothing to control it. I know that when the engine is off the throttle plate is held open then when the engine starts the plate closes on a correct running engine. I think when the engine starts the internal governor gear closes the plate when it starts but that is not happing on my engine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tractors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here