Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nash2000

scotts riding mower wont start

nash2000
10 years ago

I have a scotts rider, its about 12 years old (v-twin model). The last time I mowed I noticed the throttle was pulsing a little, ran fine though. Its actually done that a few times but never seemed to bother it. Today I went out to now, it fired right up like it always does but it died. It didn't start after that. It turns over fine and it has spark since stating fluid ignites. I've since replaced both plugs and fuel filter, same result. I've pulled the plugs many times, there pretty much dry as a bone, I dont even small gas as if it be flooded. One thing I did notice, when it starts from fluid the choke does nothing for it, I try to pump the choke to try and keep it running but it does nothing. Please help.

Comments (10)

• mownie
    10 years ago

Clogged vent hole in the gas tank filler cap, or failed fuel pump.
    Easiest to clean out the gas cap vent with a straightened paper clip or other stiff wire.

• nash2000
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Not sure where the gas cap vent is. Not sure if it could be the fuel pump since I put on a clear fuel filter and I can see fuel in the filter. Forget to mention this, the last few times I mowed I noticed it had a very hard time staying running, I think it would have stalled had I not pumped the choke. I would keep the choke opened Just a crack, seemed to be the only way to keep it running.

• mownie
    10 years ago

The gas cap vent is in the gas cap. Look for a small hole somewhere (on the outside of cap and on the inside of cap).
    But if the engine still will not restart after having sat over night, or after the gas cap was removed from the tank (and put back on).........................then there is reason to suspect a problem with the fuel pump.
    The presence of fuel in a clear fuel filter in no way signifies that the fuel pump is (or is not) working.
    To test the fuel pump you will need to remove the fuel hose where it connects to the carburetor and insert the open end of the hose into a clear plastic beverage bottle.
    Have a helper crank the engine while you observe whether any fuel is being spurted into the bottle.
    If you do not see a series of rapid pulses of fuel being delivered to the bottle...........there is a problem with the fuel pump.
    If this turns out to be the case, don't just rush out to buy a new pump until you have examined the fuel pump vacuum hose for splits or for being loose on its nipple.
    The vacuum hose runs from the pump over to a nipple on the engine (usually on a valve cover).
    Anyhow, the action you have been doing with the choke to keep the engine running merely confirms that the engine is suffering from a deficit of fuel.

• nash2000
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I just got home from work and this is what I did. I pulled, inspected and cleaned the vacuum hose. The hose was real dirty but cleaned up nice with no visible cracks or obstructions. The hose itself goes to the side of the engine and connects to a brass colored nipple rather than the valve cover. Next I pulled the fuel hose that exits the pump, I placed a tag below it to soak up any fuel that my squirt out. I was by myself so I'm not sure of the consistancy but the rag had fuel on it. So I guess there's enough vacuum created to pull fuel and there's fuel getting to curb since fuel gets past the pump. Should I start thinking carburator issue?

• nash2000
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I went back and read your 2nd response again. I did notice that the vacuum hose that connects to the brass colored nipple easily pulls right off, even with the clam secure. I'm not a big vacuum guy so I'm not sure if non slug hose can be causing this since there seems to be enough vacuum created to at least get fuel past the pump

• mownie
    10 years ago

Does the carburetor have a fuel solenoid valve mounted to the bottom of the bowl?
    If so, there may be a problem with that solenoid valve not operating properly.
    But you really ought to do the fuel pump test again with a helper cranking the engine while you catch fuel in a clear bottle. That way you can tell for sure if the fuel (and how much) is being delivered in spurts, or if it is just dribbling out. A rag is not a very good container to test that :^)

• nash2000
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The carb does have a sensor looking thing screwed into the bowl, assuming that is the solenoid, not sure how to know if its funtioning properly. I will try the fuel pump test again once my wife gets home.
    I since have removed the hood and attempted to remove the carb but there is just too many things to come off. I can post pictures if it may help. I also just bought a can of cleaner and a bottle of sea foam engine treatment. I've put some in my tank and sprayed the inside of the carburetor, not sure if thatll help.

• nash2000
    Original Author
    10 years ago

After a few sprays of carb cleaner the reactor was able to fire but its pretty rough and it needs choke assist to stay running. Clearly I still have an issue but at least it runs. Really hoping I don't need to pull the carb, normally I would care but this one has so many other things that need to come off in order to remove the carb.

• mownie
    10 years ago

Since you seem uncertain of removing and replacing so many other things to pull the carb, I strongly urge you to make sure you use a digital camera and shoot lots of photos of the carb and all things that must be removed....BEFORE YOU BEGIN REMOVING anything.
    Spraying the inside of the carb throat will not address a clogged jet or a sticky fuel solenoid.
    It is probably safe to say that maybe you should refer this problem to a pro small engine shop if you doubt your capabilities.
    But while it is good to see the "big picture".........using a digital camera to record your steps makes it a pretty fool resistant process by treating the job as a series of small steps and not simply one giant job/task.
    You'll have to decide if you are up to it.

• bill_kapaun
    10 years ago

"After a few sprays of carb cleaner the reactor was able to fire but its pretty rough and it needs choke assist to stay running."

Possibly, a strong dose of carb cleaner in the fuel MIGHT clear out the gum/varnish after some amount of running.

IF you aren't mechanically inclined, you may want to try that option first.