Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
slogan_1

John Deere LX280 or John Deere GT235

slogan.1
13 years ago

Well, I am now considering going back to a standard lawn and garden tractor instead of a zero turn unit. I have found two tractors that have caught my attention and was wondering what the general concensus is of the two listed tractors. The LX280 has the Kawasaki engine with a 48" deck and the GT235 has the Briggs and Stratton engine with 48" deck. Both units have less than 100 hours. I will mainly be using this to mow 1 acre of fairly level yard that has some obstacles but not a difficult yard to cut. Just curious as to the differences are in the mowers and what are the advantages/disadvantages of either. Also if you had to choose between the two mowers, what would be your choice? I had read reviews on both models and both are receiving good reviews, just looking for an overall concensus of them.

Thanks,

Scott

Comments (9)

• rcmoser
    13 years ago

the LX280 is a fine lawn tractor and frankly either one would a will work just fine. As for the engines both are high qualiy long life engines and all things equal (pre-ventive maintance done on both) I would look at other features. I would test drive them also.

I would favor the GT. Even though the LX can do more than just mow with the GT you have alot more options down the road, Plus IMO the Rearend a step up from the K62 Which I think what the LX266 through 280's have in them The K71 is of course alot more beefier and is a serviceable unit I think (not really a JD expert).

So all things equal, including the price (GT should command a higher price) I would get the GT235. Even though the LX266 through 280's are fine Tractors.

• gabdow
    13 years ago

scott, are you sure about the hours at only less 100 apiece? i have the 235 with the Kawasaki engine which i purchased in 2003 so the 235 you're looking at is pre-2003. if only 100 hours, buy it because, as rcmoser said, the transmission is a big step up. it's comparing a true garden tractor transmission in the 235 to a lawn tractor transmission. if you're not doing any ground engaging though, the 280 is a much newer machine. just make sure the hours are right. did the 235 have an hour meter in those days? what's the overall appearance?

• slogan.1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Gabdow,
    I have only seen a few pictures of either machine and hoping to go and see the both soon. Owner was out of town this weekend. Now I have to ask, how did you come up with it being a pre-2003 model year? I thought the owner stated he bought it new in either 2004 or 2005. Also, what would be a fair price for one that is in very good condition (this without seeing either and taking the owner at his word). I really don't think I'll be using any ground engaging attachments but that is today, I don't know about a few years down the road. The GT235 certainly has my eye but I am wondering which would be easier to use for my wife. Will the LX280 be simplier to operate or are they about the same?

Thanks again for the advice and input that I have received. Been a great help.

Scott

• mownie
    13 years ago

Yes, always "verify".
    It is possible that a 2003 model (for example) might have been bought new in 2004, or even in 2005..........if the dealer had some unsold floor models.
    Get the serial number form the chassis (get it yourself, in person) and have a John Deere dealer tell you its true year model designation.

• marineguy
    13 years ago

Scott,
    I'm not sure about the 235, but my 225 did not come with an hour meter. I had to install it (even though the cutout was there in the frame). Just because it shows less than 100 hours doesn't mean it was installed since new. Also, even if it were, they're pretty easy to replace. While "rolling back" a car's odometer will get you in hot water, I don't think the sheriff cares much about guys selling lawn mowers with bogus hours.
    That being said, check other things for signs of wear. With less than 100 hours, they should both be in like new condition. The only wear you should see is some paint scraped off the sides of the deck. If you see excessive wear on the tires, pedals, seat, lots of play in the steering, noisy deck bearings, etc, those are some things that might make you question the low hours claim.
    If you decide that both tractors do in fact have less than 100 hours, and move on from comparing the condition of the tractors to the features of the tractors, it's a no-brainer, the GT is an upgrade. The tractors handle and operate identically, with twin-touch pedals and a manual lift deck. Does the LX have the foot pedal lift? You might prefer than over the hand lever. As far as cutting grass goes, you won't really notice a difference. But if you ever want to branch out from there, the GT235 is a real garden tractor, which is basically a miniature farm tractor. While the LX is one of the more rugged lawn tractors, capable of pushing a snow blade, it's still just a lawn tractor. You'll never use sleeve-hitch attachments (plow, disc harrow, cultivator, planter, blade, box blade, rake) or a tiller (which are cheap on eBay). And if you tow a cart full of firewood, soil, mulch, whatever, you'll need to take it easy on the transmission.

• gabdow
    13 years ago

slogan, pre 2003 because they came with Kawasaki engines 2003 and later. As was stated, it may have been sitting on the floor for some time after the switch was made to the Kawasaki engine. As far as ease of operation, it's probably a toss-up. the 280 may be a little lighter machine with a slightly tighter turning radius. if the meter does only show less than 100 hours, look for what marineguy suggests.

• slogan.1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hello all and thanks for the feedback. I believe I am alittle skiddish about the tractors that I found and have since found another LX280 with 360 hours on it and another GT235 that has 185 hours on it. Both are one owner machines. I looked at the 235 and for the amount of hours on it, it seemed to have a bit more sun fading than I would have expected it to have. Owner stated it was garaged kept but it just for some reason did not add up. The other LX280 I have not had a chance to look at but the owner of it stated it will come with a box scrap, cultivator both with manual lift kits and a bagger system. Anyone have any concern about this mower coming with a box scrape and cultivator even though it is not rated for a ground engaging attachment? I asked the owner what he used the equipment for and he stated for his gravel driveway and lightly turning the top of the ground over for planting clover for deer. Any concern here???? Mower from the pictures seem to be in really good shape.

One other mower has come across my path and that is the John Deere F525, front belly mower. I had a zero turn prior to this search and really like the concept and time reduction for mowing the grass. This is as close to a zero turn as one could get without buying a zero turn. Any advice here as to which mower one would go with for mainly mowing the yard of about 1 acre or so?? The yard is fairly level with a few trees here and there, not too many. It is mainly deep and straight.

Too many options when it comes to mowing a yard these days.

Thanks again for all the advice and patience with my decision making process.

Scott

• marineguy
    13 years ago

If it wasn't used hard for grading his driveway or cultivating, it's probably fine. You can easily sell each of those items for $100 on eBay or craigslist after you buy it (I wouldn't continue to use them with the LX). You might even get $150 for the box blade.
    The LX280 is a really good lawn tractor. It doesn't sound like you really need a garden tractor. But if you come across a GT235 in the same price range as the LX280, you might as well buy the GT, just because it will last longer.