Return to the Tractors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
john deere stx38 pto intermittent

Posted by knyri (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 24, 10 at 21:25

Recently bought a JD STX38 yellow deck. First mowing was beautiful until the end when the PTO suddenly cut out. I flipped the PTO switch off and on several times and nothing happened.
When I vary the throttle it will sometimes engage, usually above half throttle. When I move the throttle afterwards it sometimes stays engaged and sometimes does not. However it will always disengage after a few feet of cutting grass.
With the engine off and the in the "on" position I turned on the PTO and did hear a click.

There is a black and yellow wire two pronged male connector not connected to anything near the starter. I cannot find an uncoupled female connector for it.

What I have done:
- Checked the belts. They are tight and on track
- Cleared excess clippings from the deck, blades, and engine
- Searched this and other sites for similar cases. Found none that match

It did not come with any manuals. I would appreciate any sent to me.

I am new to riding mowers but have moderate experience tinkering with push mowers.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: john deere stx38 pto intermittent

I am getting the impression that you are not running the engine near its maximum throttle position. You need to run the engine nearly full throttle at all times when you are mowing for a number of reasons.
Running the engine near full throttle gets the maximum output of current from the engine alternator, and you need that to ensure there is enough voltage to keep the PTO clutch engaged.
What you have described sounds very much like the battery became so weak that it could not keep the PTO clutch engaged by the time you got near the finish line of your mowing.

o

Always listen to mownie, and I agree with his assessment.

Charge your battery, and check the electrical connections, paying particular attention to the battery cables - both of them. Also take a look at all the wiring and connections that feed the PTO, as well as the engine ground wire. Intermittent problems frequently result from corroded connections and/or frayed wires.

Among the reasons to run at full throttle include battery-charging, as mownie mentioned, blade speed, and ensuring good oil flow. Your Kohler engine has an oil pump, but some engines are splash lubed, which makes high engine speed even more important. As a general rule, virtually all small engines should normally be operated at (or very near) full throttle.

Post back if these suggestions don't fix your problem; there are a number of possibilities.

o

I always keep it at full when mowing. The varying was just a random idea that popped into my head.
From the tinkering I was able to do today, it looks like the ground bolt came loose.

Found http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/tractor/msg060934286991.html to be very helpful.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tractors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here