Return to the Tractors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Reassembly of mower

Posted by popcornhill (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 18, 10 at 21:28

I took a Wheel Horse 211-4 and disassembled it to paint and clean it up. I took pictures and notes and have it pretty much back together now. I do not want to use it as a mower, only as a rider for Grand kids. My question is....do I have to put the PTO clutch back on the shaft or can I leave it off? With it off, I tried to screw the bolt back into the shaft and it does not screw all the way up to the shaft. So if I leave the pto cluch assembly off, do I also leave the bolt out?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Reassembly of mower

If you don't plan on using the PTO, leave it off.
As to the bolt, the only consideration is that the threads inside the crankshaft end will rust if the hole is not filled/sealed.
Why dont you just go to a hardware or auto parts store and buy a bolt about 3/4" to 1" long and coat it with grease or anti-sieze compound and run this bolt in tight?

This way, if you ever need to put the PTO back into service, at least you will still have a good hole to work with.
Take the OEM bolt with you so you can get a bolt thread that matches the hole in the crank.

o
RE: Reassembly of mower

Thank you mownie. That is what I will do. I thought the bolt was to hold the entire shaft on. But now I see that it was just to hold the PTO in place. I am learning a lot from this little project. Thank you again.
Dayton

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tractors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here