Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pmclay

18.5 hp Briggs & Stratton using oil/stalls/oil in vacuum line

pmclay
13 years ago

I have a 2005 Craftsman tractor with an 18.5 hp B&S engine (model 31P777-0296-E1). Recently it started blowing out lots of blue smoke after running for an hour (it has been run several times this season) It happened while mowing ditch. Changed oil, filter, and air filter (no oil in air filter) Started again and ran fine for an hour or so, then started sputtering and blowing smoke again. When I returned to garage and turned off key, engine ran/backfired for 30 sec. Took off housing and took off breather tube and didn't see any oil. Put back together and ran the next day. It ran for about 5 min under load and then sputtered and stalled and will not start again. This time I noticed oil dripping from the fuel pump (small screen on side) and I disconnected the vacuum hose that runs from the fuel pump to the dipstick, and oil ran out of it. I am certain I didn't overfill it unless the dipstick isn't right. Also, through all of this it has been consuming oil at a much faster than normal pace. I am in FL and so it is pretty warm. (I don't see any gas in the oil.) Anyone help out there? Thanks, Pat

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Style Savvy Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Northern Virginia's Luxurious Interior Designer & Decorator