o
17 HP Vanguard 312777 is dead

Posted by toroinfo (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 7, 10 at 21:42

Hi Friend:
Need your expertise:
Tractor Toro HXL 17-44H, 9 yrs old
Engine: Vanguard, 1 cylinder, Model 312777, Type 0128-E1, Code 00330ZE
A lot of white smoke from exhaust especially when I engage the blade / cutting, lost of power, oil spraying from air filter intake, oil black.
Same problem when I ran the engine without air filter. Oil level is correct.
Most likely, what is broken? Piston, cylinder, head gasket? Is it worth it to rebuild, buy short-block?
Other than this engine problem, the tractor is in near perfect condition.
I would appreciate if you can share your experience / knowledge. Thank you.

herman

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 17 HP Vanguard 312777 is dead

I would tear it down and inspect. That costs you nothing. Depending on what you find (most likely a head problem) would dictate weather it worth it or not. Odds are it would be worth it to reseal the head, fix the valve guides, or get new head. Single cylinder engines are not that expensive depending on where you buy them. I would start off at Ebay and then venture to Small engine sites.

o

Best money is headgasket failure. Did one today in fact. You will be able to tell w/ the head pulled.

o

Thanks for the responses.
Will try to tear down today.
Is there any online REPAIR MANUAL for this one cylinder Vanguard OHV engine. So I can follow it step by step, and have the torque info.
Regards
herman

o

Classic symptoms of head gasket as said above.

"Is there any online REPAIR MANUAL for this one cylinder Vanguard OHV engine. So I can follow it step by step, and have the torque info."

Try - http://www.mymowerparts.com/pdf/

I have detailed instructions for adjusting the valves of this engine plus head bolt pattern & torque. Address below, put in proper format & remind me what you want.

Walt Conner
wconner5 at verizon dot net.

o

E-mail me for a PDF manual.

o

Hi,
Just removed the cylinder head. All of you are absolutely right. The Head Gasket is blown on one location so the oil can flow to the cylinder from the push rod area. Order head gasket, wait 3 -4 days.

The cylinder is smooth, no scratch at all. Hopefully it will run well again.
About the push rod: which one is which. Checked the parts diagram, not really clear.
I assume that the rod with ball on both sides (1026A?) and heavier is for exhaust. And the other, with cylinder shape on both sides, (1026) andlighter is for intake. Is that correct?
Hopefully after mownie email me the pdf manual, i will get the description to distinguish them. Thanks mownie.
Will post the progress.
Regards
herman
BTW, how to post picture???

o

Click and you shall be enlightened.

Here is a link that might be useful: Picture postin' primer

o

Hi members,
Here are the links to the head gasket pictures I removed.

http://picasaweb.google.com/mylasem/20100708HeadGasket#

http://picasaweb.google.com/mylasem/20100708HeadGasket#

There is burn mark on the cylinder top and gasket (area between cylinder and push rods)
Do these pictures confirm head gasket failure ?
Thanks
Regards
herman

o

If that brown stuff ain't motor oil......it's a shore 'nuff blown head gasket.

Photobucket

o

Thanks mownie.
The trace is not oil, I already wiped it before taking that picture. I just cleaned it with scotch brite.
Now, I m waiting for the gasket, ordered through dealer.
regards
herman

o

Please post pics of the head surface and the block surface after your cleaning.
And I hope the Scotch Brite job was done by hand and not with a 2 HP sander. :^)

o

The links to cleaned cylinder top and cylinder head surface:

http://picasaweb.google.com/mylasem/20100708HeadGasket4#

For surfaces that have contact with head gasket, I scrapped it carefully using soft-wood (for stirring paint from Home Depot), then manually rubbed with gasoline and scotch bride. Take long time.
Is it clean enough?
Thx
herman

o

Cylinder head looks pretty good. There are some small traces of what looks like gasket specks at 11 o'clock and 5-6 o'clock in the picture of the block. If you can, get those off too. Your methods are right on target.

o

Hi mownie,
Thx u for your expert advice.
Just clean it again using cloth dipped in carburetor cleaner. That gasket speck came off relatively easy. Look better/ cleaner now.
Regards
herman

o

OK, good! And good that you used carb cleaner this time around.
I would prefer folks used the spray carb cleaner instead of gasoline for fire safety reasons.
Though the gasoline and the carb cleaner are about the same risk of "catching fire", using gasoline implies that the user has an open pan of the volatile fuel close at hand. Or that they are dispensing it from a gallon sized or larger container, which can lead to accidental spills.
The carb cleaner is a much smaller volume of liquid, dispensed accurately from a hermetically sealed container.
Much safer, in my opinion, than working with gasoline.

o

Hi mownie,
Thx for your priceless expertise.
Just curious:
1. Under the OHV cover, there was about 50 ml oil inside. Is it normal, or related to head-gasket failure. How does the rocker arm, valve stem, push rod get lubricated? In car engine, there is a pressurized oil system lubricating that parts.
2. I removed the breather, there was 5 ml oil inside. Is it normal, or related to blown head-gasket.
I guess oil sprayed from this breather hose to the filter housing. Checked the breather following the manual, not stuck, not bent, and the gap is within spec. Install it with new gasket. How a blown gasket cause this oil spray??
Thanks
herman

o

Oil under valve cover is normal and vital to the health of the rockers and valves components.
In this engine, the oil is thrown/slung from the camshaft, into the valve compartment, some oil also migrates along the pushrods in vertical crankshaft engines.

The oil inside the air filter is mainly due (in your case) to the blown head gasket pressurizing the crankcase, forcing a lot of oil mist to be vented along with the pressure through the crankcase breather tube and into the engine to be burned.
That is how/why a blown head gasket causes the engine to consume oil and blow smoke out the exhaust. It does not suck oil into the combustion chamber through the blown spot, it is the pressure escaping from the cylinder and into the crankcase that carries the oil mist out the crankcase breather and into the engine intake system that transports all the oil to the "furnace".

o

Hi everybody,
Here is my experience to be shared with all members.
Install head-gasket, torque cyl-head bolt to 220 lb-in, following the repair manual sequence, adjust valves, intake 0.10 mm (0.04 "), exhaust 0.15 mm (0.06 "). When the flywheel was still exposed, I used a digital caliper to position the piston exactly 1/4" past TDC, and marked the flywheel relative position to the coil. Easier to get accurate TDC + 1/4" after cyl-head was installed.
Following the manual, I was careful not to mix-up the push rods. The intake is hollow aluminum, much lighter. The exhaust is solid steel.
New oil (10W-30), air filter and oil filter.
Mowed for 1 hour, more powerful, no oil sprayed from breather hose.
Everything look good.
Thanks for all members of this wonderful forum. Especially to mownie and walt, pls accept my appreciation
Regards
herman

o

Hi,
Just curious.
Read from this forum, oil overfill can cause head gasket failure. Can somebody explain how it happens.
Thanks
herman

o

overfull crankcase - liquid oil fills up/blocks hot gas escape passages. HOT gasses blow thru head gasket after becoming pressurized/expanded....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tractors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here