Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grouseman_gw

John Deere GX355

grouseman
12 years ago

I am looking to replace my JD LT190 whose tranny is weakening and will take $900 to fix. I was thinking about a GX 355 (2005) but am fearful of the noise/rattle. Anyone have any experience with this? I was also thinking about the 3 cylinder Kubota GR2120 as this is AWD for significant less $ than a used JD X495 or X595. I can not swing the cost of a new X748 or X720. Any advice? I mow 2 to 3 acres that are very hilly. Would like option to move snow too. I guess any experience with the above would be appreciated.

Comments (4)

• RadioSam
    12 years ago

I have had the GX345 which is the "big brother" of the GX335 for the past 6 years. I have had only one problem with it at the beginning of this year. There is a module that lets the motor run a couple of seconds after you turn the key off that permits the engine to burn off any gas that may have been left in the carburetor. This $20 module failed, making the GX345 hard to start. It only took 10 minutes to replace it, and it is again running great. Also, after I replaced the faulty module, for the first time, I replaced the original blades (48" deck) with Gator blades for about $45. This was a little harder, but after I went to the store and bought an 18mm socket, it was "a piece of cake" to complete the changeout.

I have an acre of land, around two sides of the perimeter, there is a significant slope, and my 345 handles it nicely. I strongly recommend this genre of John Deere Garden Tractors.

Good luck !!

• RadioSam
    12 years ago

I just noticed an error in my prior response. The GX345 is the "little brother" to the GX355, not the "big brother" as I said. All of my other comments are still relevant.

• bunnyman
    12 years ago

A X495 is a much larger machine. Deck will be shaft drive on the big Xs. There is a 3pt hitch kit (cat 0-1) for the big Xs. I had serious doubts about the X4xx doing much with a back blade but was surprised. My current machine is an X485 which is fuel injected gasoline powered. Mine has hydraulic outlets... I think all of that size do. Yet to install the pto kit... $800 last time I priced.

I've had a 345 (gas version). Nice lawnmower! Bit smaller deck and everything is belt drive. Actually I liked the belt driven deck... very easy to remove. I had a snowblower attachment so removing the deck was something I did yearly. There is a power bar under the tractor that provides hydraulic deck/blower lift but no output ports. Snowthrower set me back $1400 with chains!... fully up to every bit of snow Michigan could dump in my 400' driveway.

I like my X485 better then the 345 for most things. The little 345 made a better snowthrower because the smaller size was easy to get in tight spots.. plenty of snow throwing power. The x485 wins hands down on ride comfort... those larger tires and a better seat really take some bumps out of the ride. I like the fender well tool box... place to keep my hitch pins. It still pulls a wagon with the 3pt but you have to be careful with turns. Lights on the X485 are wonderful... love the back work lights as I often push snow in the dark. With the X485 I use tire chains and a 5' back blade for snow... don't know what they cost as they came with the tractor. Not as nice as the 345/thrower combo. Back blade works well enough I've not spent money on a thrower for the X485. I buried my Blazer 4x4 truck in the drive last winter and the X485 had no problem plowing all the way around the truck. It will even move light snow without tire chains. I have a cultivator attachment that digs up my garden fairly well... a whole slew of attachments opens up with the 3pt hitch. With the smaller 300 size you only have what fits that tractor.

I don't care for the shaft drive deck on the X485... have to get down with an allen wrench to unhook it. Not a huge deal but I'm getting old to be on my knees reaching under a tractor. Issue is more my old body then any defect of the JD system.

• grouseman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I can get a GX 345 that has 500 hours on it that is supposedly in really good shape (I have not seen it)for a reasonable price. I may go look at that one. It is about 6 or 7 years old. Anyone else other than above have one of these?