Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jmattoon

Identify old horse drawn plow

Jmattoon
11 years ago

This old plow was foung in an old barn my husband's family owned. It is horse drawn four bottom. No serial numbers or any identification is on it. I was told it was "unique" can anyone provide any info?

Thanks

Comments (3)

• larso1
    11 years ago

You might get lucky with info from someone on this forum, but your chances are much better taking it to the vintage tractor community...link below to one of those. There's a forum at that site called Implement Alley you might want to start at. God luck, looks like a rare find.

Here is a link that might be useful: Yesterday

• exmar zone 7, SE Ohio
    11 years ago

We farmed with horses and mules up till the early 60's as Dad wanted his sons to know "real" farming....:-) Never seen anything like that. Hard to tell due to the angle of the pic. The fact that it's frame or body is wood indicates it wasn't used for "breaking ground," but used in already tilled areas. The plowshares themselves look like "furry out" or "middle busters" which were used to plow trenches to drop seeds, potatoes, etc. in and then covered up. Perhaps some enterprising farmer muonted four of them in parallel to make four rows in one pass? However, the one on the left does look like a traditional "turning plow" which would have been used to break ground, again, the perspective makes it tough.

Looking again, the handles are offset from the drawbar which would support that it was a turning plow.

I think you have a very unique and valuable piece of "primitive americana" there as someone built it and it wasn't mass produced.

Perhaps a couple more pics, close up of one of the plow shares from the back, and another looking straight down the drawbar? I'll share this with some of the old geezers I know.

Ev

• exmar zone 7, SE Ohio
    11 years ago

We farmed with horses and mules up till the early 60's as Dad wanted his sons to know "real" farming....:-) Never seen anything like that. Hard to tell due to the angle of the pic. The fact that it's frame or body is wood indicates it wasn't used for "breaking ground," but used in already tilled areas. The plowshares themselves look like "furry out" or "middle busters" which were used to plow trenches to drop seeds, potatoes, etc. in and then covered up. Perhaps some enterprising farmer muonted four of them in parallel to make four rows in one pass? However, the one on the left does look like a traditional "turning plow" which would have been used to break ground, again, the perspective makes it tough.

Looking again, the handles are offset from the drawbar which would support that it was a turning plow.

I think you have a very unique and valuable piece of "primitive americana" there as someone built it and it wasn't mass produced.

Perhaps a couple more pics, close up of one of the plow shares from the back, and another looking straight down the drawbar? I'll share this with some of the old geezers I know.

Ev

Sponsored
Traditional Hardwood Floors LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Your Industry Leading Flooring Refinishers & Installers in Columbus