Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
macingrace_gw

Craftsman Garden Tractor Transmission Issue

macingrace
9 years ago

Hi,

I bought a used Craftsman tractor mower, Sears model 917.27691 on the operating manual and 917.276910 on the other manual. The mower has a designation of GS6500 on the hood.

Anyway I bought it knowing it had a transmission issue, might have been dumb, but it came with a large snow plow, tire chains, (no tire weights, the tires have some kind of foam in them and they are heavy, so just another little extra I think, may still need wheel weights), and a pull behind trailer.

It is much heavier duty than my previous mower. This mower is 26 hp, 54" deck. I decided to buy all for $500 thinking worse case scenario I could sell it all for $500 or more. It has 24 hours on it is all. In brand new condition, except the mower is hard to put into gear and it sometimes is jerky when driving, sometimes it drives better but makes a cracking noise on occasion and sometimes it takes a while to catch and go. I am guessing the previous owner was shifting gears without using the clutch.

I have looked around and found a new transaxle, (not sure if that will fix the hard to put into gear issue, should fix the jerkiness, slow to catch and cracking noise?), it has a Peerless 820-040 6 speed, I have found it for $733.00. I have tried to find one cheaper with no luck. I really am not a mechanic and don't want to try to fix it myself, (I did find the repair manual from Tecumseh on how to fix the transaxle), I am pretty handy but looks pretty complicated, and lots of parts to mess up. So far I have not found anyone that wants to rebuild the transaxle either. So I am not sure whether I should purchase new transaxle and put it on, or resell the tractor.

I was a little surprised when I found out I have to use the clutch to shift every time and be completely stopped. The last tractor had a hydrostatic transaxle and it was a breeze to operate. I am sure I can get used to the manual transaxle. I do have a lot of drive way to shovel, it would be nice to have the plow, and the heavy duty tractor.

From my research, the new price on this mower was in the $2500 to $3000 dollar range. So even if I put in the new transaxle it is still only $1233.00 for everything. Still sounds like a good deal if I like the manual gears.

I am looking for opinions, just to use as sounding board and see what others think. I will access all info, as well as keep doing my own research and decide what I want to do. If anyone knows of a place to get a less expensive transaxle or someone near Cheyenne, Wy to get this one fixed that would be awesome as well.

Thanks for the time and sorry for long a story.

Comments (7)

• grasscatcher
    9 years ago

Check youtube for some videos on rebuilding the Peerless trans - doesn't look too difficult if all you need to do is change a gear or two, or maybe put in new shift keys.

• User
    9 years ago

Before you do anything else remove the mower deck and carefully inspect the drive belt (from engine pulley to trans pulley), all the idler pulleys and belt tensioner mechanism.

Your problem may be that there is no slack on the belt at a stop making it difficult to put the trans in gear. Stop the tractor, set the brake, and verify that there is slack in the drive belt.

There's aso a possibility that the previous owner replaced the drive belt with an incorrect one that is too short. Check the drive belt for part number and verify that it is the correct real Sears belt for that model.

Manual LT/GT transmissions are not like car transmissions. You must stop and choose the gear you want then go.

• macingrace
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the input so far, keep it coming. I really appreciate it.

The deck is off and inspected. In fact the symptoms I report are all with the deck off. The previous owner had taken the transaxle off and opened it and reported no visible signs of wear that he could see, no shavings, broken sprockets. He did not delve in any further than taking a look, he said it looked pretty complicated and he had found a great deal on another mower so saw no need to pursue. He sealed and put back together and mounted it.

If it is a rounded shift key he probably needed to remove things to check that I would guess. From all my research to this point and talking to several mechanics, that is there guess without looking.

I personally have never ventured into any thing like a transaxle, but doesn't mean I won't, just pretty apprehensive about it, and I need to be mowing yesterday. I am sure I am still weeks away from a fix.

• User
    9 years ago

Always start at square one and look for the simplest things first.

• macingrace
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Pulled the transaxle apart and there is little wear and tear on it. Looked very good. You can see a little minute wear on the shift keys, and from what I have read, that is all it takes to make those not perform perfectly. Dug around in the grease with a magnet and just a few pieces of metal were collected, enough to make a stick pin. Will have to clean it up to see better, just haven't gotten around to that point yet.
    Where is the best and least expensive place to purchase replacement parts for the transaxle and what is the best grease to put back in. How much grease and is there a better grease to use for winter use, pushing snow?

• bill_kapaun
    9 years ago

I think that might be a Peerless 820 series.
    Download the manual at the link and see if it looks right

Here is a link that might be useful: The Link

• john6083
    8 years ago

I had a similar issue with Sears Craftsman 5000 6 speed 25 horse garden tractor.

Put it in gear an it wouldn't move. Checked drive belts, inspected gear linkage, drive belt tension. Mower deck operated fine. Checked all electricals suspecting possible electric clutch issue and finally settled that it was stretched drive belt, the woodruff key on the transaxle or a failed transaxle. I started to research cost of transaxles and discovered that searching by the replacement part number, I could find a new transaxle at half the cost of Sears parts. Then one more idea came to mind, the range selector lever might be disengaged. Went back to the machine and sure enough the range selector was half way between high and low range, disengaging the transmission. Ironically this lever is rather obscure in the user manual documentation and the ground drive parts schematic. My headache is gone and I saved over $700.00 in parts.