Return to the Tractors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Murray 14HP OHV

Posted by rjt072355 (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 24, 10 at 22:26

First of all, I know how to start my mower and mow my yard. That is it.I have a Murray 14HP OHV- Model: 287707 Type: 0225 01 Model #:42813X92B Date of Manufacture: 1164. On Thursday I began mowing and after just beginning the third round, I noticed a change in the sound of the engine, and just after that - lots and lots of white smoke began pouring out of the front of the mower. I immediately stopped and turned it off- I was afraid it was going to catch on fire. After the smoke cleared and a quick prayer, I tried to start it again- knowing nothing would happen but so dreading having to push it to the back of my yard and under the covered porch, I tried it anyway- and nothing. So today, my Mom and Dad came to visit and work on another project. I hated to ask my Dad to look at anything else, but since the yard was so high and it was obvious that I had begun to mow it- I had no choice. He called a friend of his who said to check and see if the rocker arm was loose- then check to see if the tie rod was bent. Well, Dad looked and the rocker arm was loose but he did not have a tool that would work so he could check to see if the tie rod is bent. I said all of that to say this - what kind of tool does he need to check this? We borrowed every Allen Wrench my uncle owns and none of them worked. Sorry about the monologue, but thank you so much for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Murray 14HP OHV

rjt, stop looking at the valves, and it is "pushrod" you are trying to convey, but you are not going to find the cause of the awful white smoke in the valves area.
First, check the engine oil level. Is it over full? and does it smell like gasoline.
If it is over full and smells like gasoline, your carburetor has been leaking gas into the engine while the machine is in storage between uses. The gas finds its way into the engine oil and when you begin using the engine, it gets warm and begins burning the mixture of gas and oil that gets fed to the engine, and that might be where your white smoke is from. If you find gas in the oil, change the oil at once. You also need to add an inline fuel shutoff valve and learn to shut it off except when the engine is running to prevent future occurances of this.
If you find the oil to be at the right level, and has no smell of gas, the cylinder head gasket has "blown" and will have to be replaced.
But there is no reason to mess with the valves in search of smoke like this.

o

As Mownie says above BUT IF it is the head gasket, you will need to mess with the valves. I have detailed instructions on adjusting the valves along with head bolt torque, pattern and some other helpful hints at email address below, put in proper format and remind me of what you want.

You should be able to get a free download Service Manual for your engine at - http://www.mymowerparts.com/pdf/

Walt Conner
wconner5 at verizon dot net

o

It is common for these engines to flood the crankcase, hopefully the head gasket is still intact. I would remove the blower housing (four bolts) plus the dipstick tube and make certain that the engine cooling fins are clean of debris. You may want to clean the carb and change the float needle, and add an inline fuel shutoff to prevent this from recurring.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tractors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here