Return to the Tractors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Service a jd lt155

Posted by knuttle z5in (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 21, 11 at 22:39

I inherited my father JD LT155. For the 5 years it was used to mow about an acre of flat land. For the last 7 years it has been use to mow a 0.5 acre flat city lot.

Hopefully it will soon be leaving Indiana, and going to North Carolina where tt will be used to mow 0.8 acre with gentle slopes. The oil, filter, plugs, etc have been changed yearly.

My question is considering the tractor's age and the change in mowing conditions, is there any special service that the tractor should have. I have heard people checking valve timing and clearance, changing the hydrostatic transmisson oil, etc.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Service a jd lt155

I'd just keep up on the oil changing and lubing any fittings, check under the deck for wobbly blade spindles, or any untoward noises from same. Sharpen the blades, and run it until it decides to retire! Give it better care than the previous owner gave it, and run it until it finally gives up the ghost! Heck, you won't have much invested in it.

o

One could remove the transaxle and change the fluid if you were so inclined. Likely not necessary with the use it has gotten. Good time to clean the cooling fins of the engine and transaxle plus check the traction belt. No valve or timing adjustment required. Be sure to let that Indiana air out of the tires and put some fresh NC air in when you get there!

o

You mean fill it up with air that is mostly water? Will that cause them to rot faster? ;-)

Thank you for your response. Like I said the tractor was well maintained when my father had it and while it has been mine.

This fall when you can go outside, I will get the JD maintenance kit and replace everything.

With the tractor about 10 years old, I may get a scratch repair and work on the plastic hood. There is not many nor any major scratches, but it would look better.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tractors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here