Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
biggeehunter

lawn tractor accident

biggeehunter
12 years ago

I was loading my mtd lawn tractor up a ramp into a truck and the ramp slipped out sending me and the tractor to the ground. Picture a tractor pointing to the sky like a nasa rocket ready for take off. Since that happen my hydro gear trans model number 718-0255a will no longer go into forward or reverse. Does any one know if almost turning a trans almost upside down will break the insides or tweek something inside thanks.

Comments (4)

• rdaystrom
    12 years ago

One of several things may have happened. First check the lever that releases the hydrostatic transmission for rolling the tractor around when the engine is not running. That lever may have gotten pulled, engaged or whatever. Another thing to check is for leaking oil. I suppose it is also possible you got air in the pump by being upside down. That may cure itself.

• rustyj14
    12 years ago

It is quite possible that something under the tractor was bent, or broken, by hitting on the other ramp part, or the tail-gate of the truck, or trailer. You did not state what it was being loaded onto, but it might help us to figure out what might have happened.
    I was presented with a problem of a lawn tractor ramp slipping out of place, and the tractor falling against the tail gate of a dump truck! The owner brought the stacked pulley to me, and said the bottom sideflange had disappeared! I couldn't see any broken spots where it might have broken any welds, or anything, but i did see that the upper flange of the stacked pulley was doubled, instead of single!
    I took it to a friend who repairs lawn equipment, and after he looked at it, he clamped it into a vise, and using a large chisel, he finally bent the lower flange down into position!
    I reinstalled it and it worked as good as new!
    I'd think something got bent under your machine. Look carefully for anything that doesn't look right! HTH: Rustyj

• johntommybob
    12 years ago

Falling off a ramp while running could have put a lot of pressure on the transmission, especially if the tractor was going forward and a wheel hit the ground in such a way to force it to turn backward. With the engine shut off can you roll the tractor? If so, I would check the axle keys and make sure you didn't snap one in the fall. I suppose you could have snapped the key on the transmission pulley. Make sure the belt to the transmission is not off the pulley and is tight, and then see if you can determine if it is turning the transmission shaft, and not just spinning on it.
    Anyway, check the cheap stuff first.

• ewalk
    12 years ago

Yeah I would tend to follow JTBs advice on keep it simple look for the cheap solution 1st :) .

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES