Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deerslayer_gw

Next Project - Wheel Horse 312-8

deerslayer
17 years ago

I just won an eBay auction for a Wheel Horse 312-8. I've been looking for a winter project for the last month or so. I was planning to restore an older Wheel Horse but couldn't pass this one up for $667.75. It has 970 hrs. on the meter. 42" deck with side discharge. The owner says that it runs and mows good. I hope to pick it up July 5.

-Deerslayer

{{gwi:340291}}

Comments (151)

• deerslayer
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Acorn, you're going to like your 312-8!

The currently available bagger for the 312-8 requires the 42" side discharge deck. See below.

Model 79301
    11.0 cu. ft. Vac Bagger - 42"/48"
    For use with Side Discharge 42"/48" mower; use with 42" mower only, 312-8.

Have you considered mulching your grass and leaves? Mulching is better for your lawn and you don't need a bagger...only some Gator blades.

-Deerslayer

• mith
    17 years ago

Acorn,
    congrats on the 312!

You might also think about getting a tow behind sweeper if youve got a rear discharge deck. If you have side discharge I would recommend getting the Wheelhorse bagger. That will be your safest bet

got any pics?

• wolfe1
    17 years ago

Hey Deerslayer-

I was just poking around this thread- if you need a impact- right angle for tight spots or a standard - let me know. I have a couple decorating the selves in my garage. I am just down the street from you- nice WH by the way.

• deerslayer
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Wolfe1, thanks for the offer. I might take you up on it some time.

Most of the work is done on the 312-8. Here's a list of new parts.

Air filter and pre-cleaner
    Spark plug
    Gas cap with guage
    Quick connect oil drain plug
    Upper steering shaft with pinion
    Lower steering shaft with sector
    Tie rods
    Spindles for 8" wheels
    8" front wheels (tires, rims, and bearings)
    Ags mounted on new rims (Ags will be used during winter only)

The steering is like new (since it is new). I'll take another picture when I take the deck off and put the blade on.

-Deerslayer

• mallard_2007
    16 years ago

I purchased a Toro Wheelhorse 312 about 1989 or 90 (not sure I can check the records). I moved a number of years ago and do not have enough lawn to justify the tractor. It only has about 290 hours. It has a 42" side discharge deck. I also have a single stage snow thrower that I bought used (not sure of the age), wheel weights and chains. How do I go about setting a sale price for the tractor and equipment?

• deerslayer
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The top three factors when pricing real estate is location, location, location. With used tractors it's condition, condition, condition.

A pristine, low hour 312-8 with mower deck can fetch over $1,000. One that's been sitting outside for several years may bring $200 or less.

eBay is a good benchmark for tractor prices.

Where are you located?

-Deerlayer

• geoff22
    16 years ago

Hi Guys
    I'm from the UK, just purchased a used 312-8, are the 42" cutting decks still available as spares in the USA, and if so can you recommend any dealers to get in touch with?

Regards
    Geoff

• mith
    16 years ago

Geoff, where abouts in the UK are you?

I'm down south, there are a couple of places that you can get parts from down here. I also have quite a few spares myself.

• deerslayer
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The 42" side discharge mowing decks are no longer available according to the Toro website.

-Deerslayer

• mallard_2007
    16 years ago

Deerslayer -

Thanks for the info. I'm located in Michigan.

Mallard

• treed
    16 years ago

I'm looking at a '69 C-141 automatic so this thread caught my eye. I'm new to Wheelhorses (always been a JD guy) so I'm just trying to learn all I can about them.

Here's the C-141 I'm looking at:

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:340285}}

• wheelhorse_of_course
    16 years ago

Hi Treed,

See if you can find e model and/or serial number and look this up on the Tora site.

If it is a C-141 it has to be 1974 or later. But there were very similar models before that. I have a 1969 Charger 12 which is nearly idnetical to the C-120 Auto I had 15 years ago. Model plat should be below the dash (if it is a 1969) or on the left side of the dash stand if it is newer.

What were you looking to find out about this horse?

If it is a C141 it should have a 14 HP Kohler K series.

My biggest concern would be how much oil does it burn and does it knock. Lots of parts available new and used for these (check ebay). So unless the frame is broken, steering really bad, or transaxle bad, it should be easily fixable/restorable.

More info and we can answer more for you. You may want to go ahead and start a new hrt a new thread.

Good luck

• treed
    16 years ago

Sorry, definitely a typo on my part, that should read a '79 C-141, not a '69. The tractor has been painted over so there is no visible decals, but I did find the id plate. It's model number 91-14KS01. That makes it a '79 C-141 automatic. It does have the 14 hp K-series Kohler and it has hydrostatic transmission and hydraulic lift.

My lawn mower repair guy has it and wants to trade it for my JD 112L. So I might accomondate him and trade, though, being a JD guy, I will miss the 112L, even though it's just a lawn tractor and is basically a 111 with a better engine. And this Wheelhorse is a garden tractor.

• wheelhorse_of_course
    16 years ago

His eagerness to trade should tell you something. If you want a Deere why not try to bargain him up to something in the Garden tractor ilk.

As you say, this is definitely a garden tractor and will handle significant ground engagement. Will plow snow nicely too.

Good luck in either case.

• treed
    16 years ago

As for his eagerness to trade, he has a lot of mowers in and has a new Craftsman. He just liked that JD 112L so much that he regrets trading it to me years ago. As for me, I have 3 other JD's to pick from when I mow, an X320, a LT133 and a 210. I also have a JD 68 and a JD 66 rear engine rider that I'm working on. I was thinking of selling the 112L, but I have always like the looks of the Wheelhorses, so since I don't really need the 112L, why not trade? Maybe this will be a start of me collecting WH's.

• wheelhorse_of_course
    16 years ago

Sounds like a reasonable plan. Next thing you know you'll be building a stable!

Have fun

• dmac_2007
    16 years ago

What is the difference between a model 312-8 and a 312-A? I just acquired a 1987, 312-A. Once I removed the mouse nest jammed into the transmission shifting linkage plate, it runs like a champ.

• mith
    16 years ago

As far as I know
    312-8 is 8 speed gear
    312-A stands for automatic (hydro)

• wheelhorse_of_course
    16 years ago

Mith,

you got that right...

• mith
    16 years ago

LOL, havent had anyone say that to me for a while ha ha

• jskolits
    16 years ago

(312-8) Anyone know what the belt number is for the blade drive belt. This would be the one from the engine to the deck.
    I just went to a Toro dealer and they gave me the wrong one. Way too small. It was part number 6738.

Also, one of the deck wheels that is welded to the front is missing. Are there replacements availalbe? Maybe one I could bolt on instead of welding?

Thanks,

John

• deerslayer
    Original Author
    16 years ago

John, the Toro website contains part numbers and drawings for Wheel Horse tractors and attachments. First select Homeowner then Customer Care then Product Center. You'll need the model numbers of your tractor and deck.

-Deerslayer

• jskolits
    16 years ago

Actually, I did check the Toro site before I posted my message as well as a few others. My problem is I can't find the tractor's serial number. I put the model number in "312-8" on the Toro site but it didn't seem to find it. I found some numbers in their list like - "31-12K801" but all of those numbers indicated mowers from 1990-1992. I believe mine is a 1987 model. I have the model number of the engine, but that doesn't help. There is a tag below the seat that may of had the model number, but it's worn away. So I can't get to the correct manual.

The deck info I do have, and the site calls out a belt part number of 108834, but it's part number is nothing like the part I received #6738 (the wrong part from the Toro Dealer), so I'm not sure it's accurate.

On the Toro site, there is a part number for the front deck wheel, but the whole bracket is missing on my tractor, so I'm looking to replace that as well. That is not a separate part on the parts blow out and I am looking for a solution for that part.

So , I did check many sources before posting this email but didn't get the answers I needed. And the Toro dealer initially gave me the wrong blades as well as the wrong belt. It's 1 hour round trip and I've had to make it three times already, so since I can't trust the Toro dealer (Only one within about 25 miles). I figured you guys would give me the correct info, then I can tell them what I need.

Here's my mower info:

Engine: Kohler
    Model: K301S
    Spec #: 47828
    Ser#: 1526614724

Mower:
    Model: 312-8
    Serial Number??

Deck:
    05-42MR04

Thanks,

John

• deerslayer
    Original Author
    16 years ago

John, the model number for the 1987 312-8 is 21-12K804. The 1986 is 21-12K803 and the 1988 is 21-12K805.

The long belt for a 05-42MR04 is 108834. That's the same belt number you found on the Toro site. The 05-42MR04 42" rear discharge deck was made between 1986 and 1988. I think the Toro dealer screwed up your belt order.

The front anti-scalp wheel brackets are welded to the deck shell and are not a separate part. However, they look very easy to fabricate.

I order all my WH parts from Jack's Small Engines on the internet. Buying from an internet site may be a more convenient alternative for you considering your dealer is an hour away. I've purchased many parts from Jack's and they have always shipped the correct part number.

-Deerslayer

• jpvusa1
    16 years ago

Just saw a WH 312-8 1995 @ a tag sale for $750. Was just looking for a lawn mower but you guys seem to love this machine. Since it won't start is there any way for me to tell how many hours are on the tractor. It looks to be in pretty good shape but like I said it wouldn't start...the way you people talk this sounds like a good price???

• deerslayer
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The 1995 312-8s have an hour meter. It's under the ignition switch. I paid $668 on eBay for my 1995 312-8 last year. It had 970 hours on it but was in very good condition. There's a picture of it at the beginning of this thread.

If the 312-8 won't start, I think $750 is too much. Can you have a mechanic check it out before you buy it?

-Deerslayer

• jpvusa1
    16 years ago

Can't do that. Have to buy it as is.I'll check the hours and make an offer. I didn't plan on paying $750.This machine isn't as shinny as yours but appears to be in good physical shape...I just don't want to pay too much incase it needs some major work.

• wheelhorse_of_course
    16 years ago

Right.

These *are* really solid machines, but they are not infallible.

See what they say the history is. If it ran and then sat for a couple of years then the carb needs cleaning and you may need a new battery. Not a bad a mount of work. On the other hand if it "died" it could have major problems.

• jpvusa1
    16 years ago

has anyone done much snow plowing with the 312-8. How does it handle?

• deerslayer
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I have. The 312-8 works great pushing snow. Here's a picture of my 312-8 that was taken after last season's first snow.

-Deerslayer

{{gwi:118564}}

• deereman72
    16 years ago

Greetings, all,

I just "inherited" a 312-8 when my best friend's sister passed away. The machine has sat unused for six years in a dry heated garage. Aside from a lot of dust, it still looks pretty solid. Naturally, the battery died a long time ago (but didn't leak!), so I haven't had a chance to start it yet. My question to you "veterans" out there has to do with "translating" the serial number. The tag under the seat says ID Number 2112K806 36592, and under that is the number 8288. What among all of these is the "serial number"? Also, on the Toro parts page the available models only seem to go up to 31-12K804, and offer a serial number range of 2000001 - 2999999. Am I looking at the right parts pages, and what year is this critter? By the way, the "deereman72" user name may have to go - this Horse is a well built machine and I may become a convert!

• deerslayer
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Deereman -- Welcome to the Wheel Horse family!

Your model number is 21-12K806. It is a 1989. That is the year that Wheel Horse was purchased by Toro. Your tractor should not have the Toro logo on its hood and fender pan decals. The 1990 model year was the first year that Wheel Horse tractors were branded Toro.

-Deerslayer

• lauren_cummings_dartmouth_edu
    16 years ago

Thanks, Deerslayer!

Looking forward to a winter of restoration on the beast. So....what do the other numbers on the ID plate stand for?

-Deereman

• deerslayer
    Original Author
    16 years ago

1991 was the first year that serial numbers were used so they're not serial numbers. The numbers may refer to the tractor's sequence number of manufacture (for example, the thirty six thousand five hundred and ninety second 312-8 made in the 1989 model year) and manufactured date (for example, 8/2/88). I don't know for sure.

You only need the model number to lookup parts and assembly drawings.

-Deerslayer

• ampa
    16 years ago

I'm a new member on this excellent forum...and seems to me maybe I should have found this site before I bought my little riding mower...you fellows sure know what to look for in a riding mower...although an extra long thread....but very interesting....I was looking at a new liquid cooled tractor....i'm sure the frame was at least 8 gauge...what a mean machine I didn't ask about the price I think it had a 3 cylinder inline diesel and all hydraulics plus 4 WD just one question about the Wheel Horse does it have hydraulics for the mowin' deck...thanks again guys for a vey interesting thread on the Wheel Horse

• wheelhorse_of_course
    16 years ago

Welcome AMPA -

PTO driven implements are belt drive, though there is a real clutch (versus belt clutch) for the PTO.

Not sure exactly how many will be looking at this old thread, but there are a few enthusiasts of the company that at one time was part of case that makes some very nice all hydraulic tractors. The name is on my tongue but I can't recall it right now.

You will find lots of good info on this site.

Cheers

PS - I think it is ingersol

• deerslayer
    Original Author
    16 years ago

AMPA, many Wheel Horse tractors have hydraulic mower decks. Most of the WH hydro equipped tractors have them. Do you have a particular WH model in mind?

BTW, I started this thread and don't mind hijacking or late posts by WH enthusiasts.

-Deerslayer

• treed
    16 years ago

Deereslayer, others,
    There is a fairly new WH site that I think you might find interesting. I know we could sure use more insight and knowledge. And you will even find a free downloadable 2008 Wheel Horse calendar.

http://whtractor.15.forumer.com/index.php?

• wheelhorse_of_course
    16 years ago

I guess we need to clarify if we are talking about Hydraulic lift decks (fairly common on the hydros and designated by a 1 in the last digit of the C series, eg C121) versus hydraulic drive decks which I don't think ever existed on WH's

Treed, I'll check it out. Thanks for the URL

• deerslayer
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the URL.

I'm not aware of any hydraulic drive WH decks...only hydraulic lift decks.

BTW, does any company make or has any company made an LT or GT hydraulic drive mower deck?

-Deerslayer

• wheelhorse_of_course
    16 years ago

OK, I remembered wrong. The ingersolls use belt for mid and front accessories.

So only the rear mount mower (and other accessories) use the hydraulic PTO.

One of the other members of this forum has made a good enough case that if I ever get anything other than a Horse it would be an Ingersoll! But it isn't likely to happen in this life...

Here is a link that might be useful: Ingersol Tractor Brochure

• treed
    16 years ago

No problem. Don't forget to download the WH calendar:

http://whtractor.15.forumer.com/index.php?showtopic=219

My '79 WH C-141 Automatic has hydraulic lift but the deck is belt driven as is the transmission.

• wheelhorse_of_course
    16 years ago

Yeah, nice calendar.

• deereman72
    16 years ago

Happy New Year!

Looking for some help from you veteran WH owners:

I'm in the middle of a full frame-off restoration of the '89 312-8 I inherited. These machines are so well put together that most of my work will be paint, wiring and replacing some worn out bushings, etc. Question for you or any other WH owner out there: on the rear wheel mounting flanges there are two set-screws that hold each flange to the axle. The head of the bolt is square, then there is a hex nut between that and the flange casting. Is this a lock nut or is it welded on to the flange as part of the attachment? Before I go putting too much torque on these things and breaking something I'm trying to figure out how they're hitched together! I've got some play in one of the flanges I'd like to eliminate - maybe replace the woodruff key? Thoughts/tips/pointers, please?

• mith
    16 years ago

Deereman, I replied to your other topic on the matter.

And while I'm making a post, thought you guys might be interested in the new attachment on my 312-8

{{gwi:313896}}

And the loader
    {{gwi:340315}}

• mownie
    16 years ago

I'm jealous!! Happy New Year

• agrippa
    16 years ago

Mith you beauty! That looks fantastic!

• deerslayer
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Nice work Mith!!!

-Deerslayer

• deereman72
    16 years ago

Mith, that's an amazing hook-up. Who makes the backhoe?

• kyzor_dwest_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

I have a wheel horse 312-8 with 348 hours on the meter. Its in need of a pto pulley , a fuel pump , and a new set of blades . I intend to sell it after I make the repairs but if the price was right I would consider selling it as is . Anybody interested you could e-mail me at kyzor_dwest@yahoo.com

Sponsored
Preferred General Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Fairfax County's Specialized, Comprehensive Renovations Firm