Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rustyj14

Kohler Engine-no start. Twin cylinder.

rustyj14
11 years ago

A have here a large Craftsman Garden tractor. No start is the problem. Well, i took off the flywheel cover, and found one of the ignition coils laying on the side of the cylinder, and the bolts missing. The magnets had some rust, but sandable. I cleaned the magnets, and bolted the coil in place. After i got the fly housing back on, i sat on the seat, pushed in the brake/clutch pedal, set the choke and throttle, and it started. I drove it around for 15 minutes, mowed some grass, everything seemed ok. Gas tank was full. And then---it quit running! And, hasn't started since. Tried a new fuel filter-nada. Checked fuel pump--nothing, but pumps fuel. Hoses are good. Oil level full to mark. Tried it with gas cap off, and loose, and tight--nothing. Checked all electrical plugs i could see-all on and tight.

This machine is always parked outside with no cover over the louvers in the hood, which are in the sides, not the top.

The owner allows anybody in his family to use it, including his sons, daughters, and Grand-kids! They all live in a large wooded hilly area. The brakes on the tractor didn't work--all rusted and stuck in the off position. Any suggestions? I'm hoping somebody might have something that might help. by: Rusty J.

Comments (7)

• bill_kapaun
    11 years ago

And again, no mention of checking for spark or engine/tractor model #'s.

• rustyj14
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Bill, i parked it outside the garage for 2 days. Got on it this afternoon, set the controls, and it started! Drove it all around the yards, then shut it off to go for supper. Came out and no start! Too dark now to go get numbers, but will tomorrow. Forgot about numbers. Old brain is--well-- you know. RJ

• rustyj14
    Original Author
    11 years ago

OK, Bill, here ya go:
    Spec no.: PS-SV735-OO16

Serial Number: 3701011463

Kohler Twin Cylinder, 26 HP.

Fuel is being pumped to carburetor, thence to the intake manifold, and engine. Sometimes, it will start, other times-nothing. Cranks and cranks and cranks, but no start. Getting fuel to carb. Leave it sit for an hour and a half, and it will start and run. mow for an hour, shut it off to go eat, come out, and no start! Today, tried new spark plugs: Nothing! Thought maybe a plugged air filter-removed it and---no start!
    It sat outside all of last night, covered up. No rain, nice all night. Went down and tried it. Started and ran, drove all around with it, topped off fuel, went in for coffee, came out and---you guessed it-no start!

Folks wonder why a lot of old guys who die, are bald! They must of been lawn mower fixers, and tore their hair out when an insurmountable problem cropped up!

• bill_kapaun
    11 years ago

Still no mention of checking for spark.

Some of these engines have a "Smart Spark" device, which controls ignition timing.
    There is a SAM (aka Spark Advance Module) in the "system".
    They are known for causing the kinds of problems you describe.

See if there seems to be an "extra" 12V wire going to the ignition coils to identify this system. You might have to remove the shroud to see????

You'll need to download the service manual from the Kohler website for proper test procedures.

• rustyj14
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, Bill--just what i wanted to hear! RATS!
    I told the owner to come and get it. I also know where he can take it to have it fixed. It is in Big Knob, PA., N.W. of Beaver, PA. They are very good, and i have sent other folks to them, and they were very satisfied with their work. (Yes, Big Knob is an actual place. They have the Big Knob Fair there every July!)
    Thanks for your reply. Rusty J.

• tomplum
    11 years ago

The SAM module is a rectangular box outside the shroud ~2x3". If there is an ignition issue, they make a kit that replaces the coils and deletes the module. I've chased a similar one that cut power to the carb solenoid when it wanted to- ignition switch in that case. This might be the style with the plunger/ spring that is in the carb solenoid system that you can just unscrew the solenoid, remove them and give a try too.

• rustyj14
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Stop with the info: I talked to the owner, told him i had no way of checking his engine, or figuring out the problem. He picked it up today! WHEE!! RJ
    PS, i found out some other folks have had the same type of problem with theirs, and Sears got them fixed up. Nobody could tell me what sears repair did. RJ

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County