Return to the Tractors Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
18 horse b&s twin cylinder no spark

Posted by jasonsford77 (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 21, 10 at 2:35

hi i have a b&s 18 horse twin cylinder and i have no spark. replaced coil. still no spark. plugs are good. set gap on coils with buisness card. no spark. no points under flywheel just the big round magnet thing cant think of its name at moment. ? is. is there anything else on here that can cause no spark? i even unplugged the earth wire from coil still no spark. is there a way i can check coil with meter? also the guy i got it from said he replaced the starter is it possible to get a starter that spins the engine backwards? it cranks good and fast like it should ? there is what way is it sposed to spin. any help would be great thank you. jason

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 18 horse b&s twin cylinder no spark

This sounds strangely like a post that was on one of the forums a couple of months ago. Fist off, there are several 18 hp B&S engines and even twins. I am guessing yours is a 42 series.

There are only two things involved in making a spark when you have the "earth" wire, ground wire unplugged and those are the coil and the flywheel.

Are you sure you put the coil on right side up? The spark plug wires exit the coil towards the back of the engine, make a loop and come back under the coil and out the Intake Manifold side of the engine.

Walt Conner

o
RE: 18 horse b&s twin cylinder no spark1

"said he replaced the starter is it possible to get a starter that spins the engine backwards?"

Forgot to answer this. You can get the starter to run backward by connecting it backward HOWEVER, the starter drive would not engage. Engine turns clockwise looking at the flywheel.

How are you testing spark?

Walt Conner

o
RE: 18 horse b&s twin cylinder no spark

Jason, please look on your engine and find the model number, and the type number. Post both numbers so we can know which engine we are dealing with. Briggs makes a few different engines that are "18 HP twins".

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tractors Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here